From: Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: resolv.conf is different after every reboot
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 17:23:59
1 2014-07-27 19:33 GMT+03:00 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>:
2 > Grand Duet <grand.duet <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> >> In short: the contents of the file /etc/resolv.conf
6 >> >> is unpredictably different from one reboot to another.
7 >> >> It is either
8 >> >> # Generated by net-scripts for interface lo
9 >> >> domain mynetwork or
10 >> >> # Generated by net-scripts for interface "eth0"
11 >> >> nameserver My.First.DNS-Server.IP
12 >> >> nameserver My.Second.DNS-Server.IP
13 >> >> nameserver 8.8.8.8
16 > I set my nameservers all manually in this file and they do
17 > not every change.
18
19 I also thought that /etc/resolv.conf do not change at every
20 reboot before run into this problem and tried to write down
21 my own /etc/resolv.conf
22
23 > I do not run systemd. I'm not sure of your issue(s) but,
24 > historically, resolv.conf should not be displaying this behavior.
25
26 Historically, may be, but currently the main net config file is
27 /etc/config.d/net, at least for openRC. /etc/resolv.conf is produced
28 at every boot from /etc/config.d/net by net-scripts.
29
30 >> > and also the output of the "rc-update show" command?
31 >>
32 >> # rc-update show
33 >
34 >> mtab | boot
35 >> net.eth0 | default
36 >> net.lo | boot
37 >> netmount | default
40 >> Everywhere above eth0 has been put instead of its udev "predictable" name.
41 >> Do you think that I need
42 >> carrier_timeout_eth0=20
43 >> somewhere in /etc/conf.d/net ?
44 >
45 > I do not try and force the "eth' names onto an interface
46 > I have these in rc-status:
47 >
48 > mtab | boot
49 > net.enp5s0 | default
50 > netmount | default
51 >
52 > I just look at the dmesg output and use the new, default
53 > funky names. You can read up on these evolving interface
54 > names by googling.
55
56 You did not understood my remark above correctly:
57 in my system config files I do use these "fu*ky" names
58 but instead of exposing them to the whole Internet
59 I have changed a "fu*ky" name for eth0 back to eth0
60 for better clarity and security. :)
61
62 > Here is one link (often posted to this user group) to get you started:
65 > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
68 > hth,
69 > James