From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Howzat!
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:05:14
1 On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:52:56 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
2
3 >> it's tedious to install things
4 > > through an intermediary system all the time. The fullsize laptop, when
5 > > it gets its rebuild over the next week (it's been a windows 2k3 server
6 > > development system lately)
7
8 > My strategy for getting Gentoo on a netbook with an SSD is to use NFS
9 > for PORTAGE_TMPDIR. Works nicely and makes less work than building
10 > everything remote.
11
12 Doesn't using NFS slow compilation right down. I have a script on
13 the build host that enters the chroot and runs emerge -uD --changed-use
14 world, right after cron does emerge --sync, so the packages are
15 automatically available. Ass --usepkg to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS on the
16 netbook and everything is transparent and no work at all (apart from a
17 couple of packages that won't build in the chroot).
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Beware of cover disks bearing upgrades.