From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Howzat!
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:05:21
1 Am 18.04.2011 10:12, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
2 > On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:52:56 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >
4 >>> it's tedious to install things
5 >>> through an intermediary system all the time. The fullsize laptop, when
6 >>> it gets its rebuild over the next week (it's been a windows 2k3 server
7 >>> development system lately)
8 >
9 >> My strategy for getting Gentoo on a netbook with an SSD is to use NFS
10 >> for PORTAGE_TMPDIR. Works nicely and makes less work than building
11 >> everything remote.
12 >
13 > Doesn't using NFS slow compilation right down. I have a script on
14 > the build host that enters the chroot and runs emerge -uD --changed-use
15 > world, right after cron does emerge --sync, so the packages are
16 > automatically available. Ass --usepkg to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS on the
17 > netbook and everything is transparent and no work at all (apart from a
18 > couple of packages that won't build in the chroot).
22 I haven't noticed any slowdown. I use a 100 MBit/s connection. That's
23 nearly 12 MiB/s. The SSD has a write-speed of maybe 4-8 MiB/s. Actual
24 throughput (monitored with iftop) was usually lower that 40 Mbit/s.
25 Maybe latency was a bit higher and NFSv4 could have helped with that but
26 I think it was negligible compared to the compiling performance of the
27 Atom processor.
28
29 Sure, a build host would have been better but it also meant more work. I
30 also thought about using ATAoE, iSCSI or something alike to mount the
31 SSD from a more powerful computer (using a live-system to avoid obvious
32 problems when mounting the FS twice). Again - too much fuss. I usually
33 just do security updates and then a full update every six months or so.
34
35 Regards,
36 Florian Philipp