From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ubuntu with Gentoo somehow...
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 13:55:41
1 On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 9:00 AM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On Sunday, March 25, 2018, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> is there a way to download the archive (or how is it called in the
8 >> world of Ubuntu ?) of a program, from which I only know the
9 >> apt-get and apt-install commands?
10 >> And how can I do the same for a developer release of that program
11 >> when I additionally know the ppa (whatever that is...?)
14 > I've never had this be easy enough I'd want to do it. Is it possible now?
15 > I.e. grabbing all deps wouldn't be necessary if Gentoo's library versions
16 > match the .deb's.
19 This could just be a language barrier issue, but it isn't entirely
20 clear to me what the question is, and whether it has been answered.
21
22 The original question doesn't seem to have anything to do with Gentoo,
23 so I'm not sure why we're talking about "Gentoo's library versions."
24
25 If the intent really was to ask how to fetch ubuntu packages for use
26 with ubuntu then it would probably make more sense to ask about it on
27 an Ubuntu list/forum/etc.
28
29 If this is a Gentoo question and the submitter is just unfamiliar with
30 Gentoo and is using Ubuntu terminology that is fine, but I think it
31 would be helpful to have a bit more clarification, such as what the
32 end goal is. Are we asking for tarballs of sources (distfiles)? Are
33 we asking for binary packages? Is this a question about generating
34 ebuilds for versions not in the main repo? Is this about how to get a
35 .deb made for Ubuntu working on Gentoo?
36
37 I think everybody is trying to be helpful, but is interpreting the
38 question differently. Perhaps the original submitter already got the
39 answer they're looking for, which is fine.
42 Rich