From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ubuntu with Gentoo somehow...
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 14:22:34
1 On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 8:55 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 9:00 AM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> On Sunday, March 25, 2018, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
6 >>> Hi,
7 >>>
8 >>> is there a way to download the archive (or how is it called in the
9 >>> world of Ubuntu ?) of a program, from which I only know the
10 >>> apt-get and apt-install commands?
11 >>> And how can I do the same for a developer release of that program
12 >>> when I additionally know the ppa (whatever that is...?)
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> I've never had this be easy enough I'd want to do it. Is it possible now?
16 >> I.e. grabbing all deps wouldn't be necessary if Gentoo's library versions
17 >> match the .deb's.
20 > This could just be a language barrier issue, but it isn't entirely
21 > clear to me what the question is, and whether it has been answered.
22 >
23 > The original question doesn't seem to have anything to do with Gentoo,
24 > so I'm not sure why we're talking about "Gentoo's library versions."
25 >
26 > If the intent really was to ask how to fetch ubuntu packages for use
27 > with ubuntu then it would probably make more sense to ask about it on
28 > an Ubuntu list/forum/etc.
29 >
30 > If this is a Gentoo question and the submitter is just unfamiliar with
31 > Gentoo and is using Ubuntu terminology that is fine, but I think it
32 > would be helpful to have a bit more clarification, such as what the
33 > end goal is. Are we asking for tarballs of sources (distfiles)? Are
34 > we asking for binary packages? Is this a question about generating
35 > ebuilds for versions not in the main repo? Is this about how to get a
36 > .deb made for Ubuntu working on Gentoo?
37 >
38 > I think everybody is trying to be helpful, but is interpreting the
39 > question differently. Perhaps the original submitter already got the
40 > answer they're looking for, which is fine.
43 Well, yes - I think the question as asked has been answered, but I'm
44 trying to figure out what he was doing. I did assume he was going to
45 be using the packages with Gentoo somehow, just based on the mailing
46 list he used.