From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ubuntu with Gentoo somehow...
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 15:40:33
1 On 03/26 09:22, R0b0t1 wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 8:55 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 9:00 AM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >>
5 > >>
6 > >> On Sunday, March 25, 2018, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
7 > >>> Hi,
8 > >>>
9 > >>> is there a way to download the archive (or how is it called in the
10 > >>> world of Ubuntu ?) of a program, from which I only know the
11 > >>> apt-get and apt-install commands?
12 > >>> And how can I do the same for a developer release of that program
13 > >>> when I additionally know the ppa (whatever that is...?)
14 > >>>
15 > >>
16 > >> I've never had this be easy enough I'd want to do it. Is it possible now?
17 > >> I.e. grabbing all deps wouldn't be necessary if Gentoo's library versions
18 > >> match the .deb's.
19 > >>
20 > >
21 > > This could just be a language barrier issue, but it isn't entirely
22 > > clear to me what the question is, and whether it has been answered.
23 > >
24 > > The original question doesn't seem to have anything to do with Gentoo,
25 > > so I'm not sure why we're talking about "Gentoo's library versions."
26 > >
27 > > If the intent really was to ask how to fetch ubuntu packages for use
28 > > with ubuntu then it would probably make more sense to ask about it on
29 > > an Ubuntu list/forum/etc.
30 > >
31 > > If this is a Gentoo question and the submitter is just unfamiliar with
32 > > Gentoo and is using Ubuntu terminology that is fine, but I think it
33 > > would be helpful to have a bit more clarification, such as what the
34 > > end goal is. Are we asking for tarballs of sources (distfiles)? Are
35 > > we asking for binary packages? Is this a question about generating
36 > > ebuilds for versions not in the main repo? Is this about how to get a
37 > > .deb made for Ubuntu working on Gentoo?
38 > >
39 > > I think everybody is trying to be helpful, but is interpreting the
40 > > question differently. Perhaps the original submitter already got the
41 > > answer they're looking for, which is fine.
44 > Well, yes - I think the question as asked has been answered, but I'm
45 > trying to figure out what he was doing. I did assume he was going to
46 > be using the packages with Gentoo somehow, just based on the mailing
47 > list he used.
51 Hi,
52
53 sorry for my horrific bad English. I will try to explain, what I
54 intended to do, again. Hopefully this time with more success:
55
56 There is a package, which is "selfcontained". As an example here:
57 Blender, which can easily be downloaded from builder.blender.org as
58 *.bz2 archives, is also "selfcontained" as it includes everything,
59 what it needs to run successfully.
60
61 Despite the fact, that this way of packaging makes a software quite
62 independant from the layout of the distribution it will be installed
63 on, the maintainer of that package only support Debian/Ubunto and
64 has publishes onlu the commands needed to instruct the package
65 management system of thoses systems to install that software -- as
66 mentioned -- on Debian/Ubuntu-like systems.
67
68 As I am using Gentoo and wanted that package and didn't found any
69 other source and this package uses qt4 (included), I asked on this
70 mailing list for help, how to get access to the physical package,
71 which I wanted to unpack (low level) and try to get it working
72 somehow.
73
74 I dont asked on a Debian/Ubuntu mailing list as these are for
75 questions about -- beside other related things -- installing
76 packages on Debian/Ubuntu.
77
78 I asked on this mailing list, since I wanted to run that
79 Debian/Ubuntu package on a Gentoo system.
80
81 Cheers
82 Meino