From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 06:52:10
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 18/12/2022 22:11, Dale wrote:
3 >> Wol wrote:
4 >>> On 18/12/2022 18:59, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Since this is local, I just use rsync to do my backups.  I did have to
6 >>>> change the options a bit.  It seems TrueNAS doesn't like some of the
7 >>>> permissions or something.
8 >>>
9 >>> Are you running the rsync daemon on the NAS? I'm probably teaching
10 >>> grandma to suck eggs, but that massively reduces the need for network
11 >>> traffic.
12 >>>
13 >>> Cheers,
14 >>> Wol
15 >>>
16 >>>
19 >> I mount the NAS on my Gentoo rig.  I mount it under /mnt.  Then I run
20 >> rsync and copy from the source to the mount point for the NAS.  I may
21 >> could go the other way but never thought about doing it that way.  Kinda
22 >> sounds backwards to me but I dunno. ;-)
23 >>
24 > Sounds to me like you're doing it all wrong either way ...
25 >
26 > What is *supposed* to happen is that you have the daemon running on
27 > one machine and the client on the other - doesn't matter which.
28 >
29 > Then the client tells the daemon what files are to be copied, THE TWO
30 > COMPARE CHECKSUMS, and only the stuff that fails the checksum is
31 > copied. So if you're doing an incremental backup, network usage and
32 > writes are kept to a minimum.
33 >
34 > I tell people to an in-place backup if they're running on a snapshot
35 > setup, because again it only writes stuff that has actually changed.
36 >
37 > Cheers,
38 > Wol
43 Do you have a link to the proper way to do it?  I don't copy to a
44 different machine often so my current method may be the problem.  Maybe
45 the way you mention will work much better, even a little better would be
46 nice. ;-)
47
48 Dale
49