From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ATI-drivers versioning system - I'm confused
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:01:16
1 Mick writes:
2
3 > On 25 March 2010 11:50, Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
4 > wrote:
5
6 > > Many thanks, do you have an estimate when 10.4 appears in the tree?
7 > > Helmut.
8 >
9 > I can't answer that (as far as I know the devs will only say that it
10 > will appear when it is ready) but I got myself into a pickle with
11 > trying to switch from radeon to fglrx driver, running xorg-server
12 > 1.7.6.
13
14 I think you have to wait for ati-drivers-10.4 to work with xorg-1.7.
15
16 > It kept going around in circles with blockers and after
17 > subsequent masking and unmasking I couldn't get it to emerge, so I
18 > went back to the radeon driver. Mind you I did not rebuilt the kernel
19 > at the time and that may be why I was getting 'you can't have these
20 > packages installed at the same time' type of message.
21
22 With the radeon driver, I only got a blank screen, so I am using ati-
23 drivers. From kernel 2.6.31 on, they are sort of working fine, with GLX
24 and all that. Here is what I had to mask to keep the older x.org 1.6:
25
26 >=x11-apps/xinput-1.5.0
27 >=x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.7
28 >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.7
29 >=x11-libs/libX11-1.3.2
30 >=x11-libs/libXScrnSaver-1.2.0
31 >=x11-libs/libXext-1.1.1
32 >=x11-libs/libXi-1.3
33 >=x11-libs/libXinerama-1.1
34 >=x11-libs/libXtst-1.1.0
35 >=x11-libs/libXxf86dga-1.1.1
36 >=x11-libs/libXxf86vm-1.1.0
37 >=x11-proto/bigreqsproto-1.1.0
38 >=x11-proto/fixesproto-4.1.1
39 >=x11-proto/inputproto-2.0
40 >=x11-proto/recordproto-1.14
41 >=x11-proto/scrnsaverproto-1.2.0
42 >=x11-proto/xcmiscproto-1.2.0
43 >=x11-proto/xextproto-7.1.1
44 >=x11-proto/xf86bigfontproto-1.2.0
45 >=x11-proto/xf86dgaproto-2.1
46 >=x11-proto/xf86driproto-2.1.0
47 >=x11-proto/xf86vidmodeproto-2.3
48 >=x11-proto/xineramaproto-1.2
49 >=media-libs/mesa-7.6
52 > I only wanted to try fglrx, because someone on the Ubuntu forums said
53 > that it stopped their laptop fan from running all the time (mine
54 > starts when the temperature reaches 50C or so and thereafter runs
55 > continuously).
56
57 That's what I heard, too. Still, I have high CPU loads for the X process
58 when running KDE4 with my Radeon 4200 GPU.
59
60 Wonko