From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE slow / console-kit-daemon POLKIT_IS_AUTHORITY failed
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 04:59:30
1 On 16/01/14 19:39, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:19:22 -0600, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> Helmut is still using consolekit. Are you still using consolekit?
5 >>> Yes, it's the default for kdm so it is enabled on both computers.
6 >> I don't think it will be the default for much longer; it's unmaintained
7 >> code which sooner or later will start to bitrot. Unless someone steps in
8 >> and starts taking care of it.
9 > Quite likely, but for now it is the default and in use on both systems in
10 > question.
11 >
12 >>>> I have no idea if consolekit is relevant here, but Canek has been
13 >>>> telling us that consolekit is abandonware and we should stop
14 >>>> depending on it.
15 >>> That's part of the drive to put everything in systemd, which I do not
16 >>> use.
17 >> Fact is, nobody is maintaining ck; from its homepage[1]:
18 >>
19 >> "ConsoleKit is currently not actively maintained. The focus has shifted
20 >> to the built-in seat/user/session management of Software/systemd called
21 >> systemd-logind!"
22 > That's what I was paraphrasing above. I checked the latest status on that
23 > page before replying.
24 >
25 >> That message has been there for months; in general ck kinda still works,
26 >> although it never really solved the problem of properly tracking user
27 >> sessions, which is why everybody involved with it quickly jumped ship to
28 >> logind, where the problem is properly solved.
29 > The issue for many is that logind is so closely tied to systemd.
30 >
31 >> However, as the interfaces in the stack evolves, unmaintained code like
32 >> ck will simply stop to work. ConsoleKit uses dbus heavily, and with the
33 >> introduction of kdbus[2] and the inevitable changes that will happen to
34 >> dbus, combined with nobody taking care of ck, I don't think it will keep
35 >> working much longer.
36 > That's a reasonable prediction.
37 >> Ubuntu and Debian (now that is seriously discussing which modern init
38 >> system to use) have been discussing an alternative, API compatible
39 >> implementation of logind, but I don't know if it has got nowhere. I
40 >> think that has more future than ck, but again, nobody (AFAIK) has
41 >> stepped in and do the heavy coding.
42 > Leaving aside my concerns about systemd, I am not happy with the "all
43 > eggs in one basket" direction things seem to be taking. Whatever happened
44 > to tolls doing one job and doing it well?
45 >
46 >> Independently, though, I think is safe to say that ConsoleKit is a dead
47 >> end.
48 > In the future, most probably. but right now it is the preferred option
49 > for KDM.
53 Right, only GDM (the display manager for GNOME) has dropped ConsoleKit
54 support so far, that I know, in versions 3.8 and later
55 So other than GNOME, ConsoleKit is still a go -- thus, compatible with
56 OpenRC based system
57
58 For KDE it might be something else than dbus-glib that needs a
59 recompile, I'd imagine something like kdelibs or polkit-kde-agent, or both
60 It could be something else too, but setting the suid bit on
61 dbus-daemon-launch-helper is stupidest idea ever, that *really* allows
62 anyone to gain root
63 However if you run a machine with single user and no open ports on the
64 machine whatsoever, the attack vector is propably very small, but I still
65 wouldn't do it
66
67 - Samuli