From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE slow / console-kit-daemon POLKIT_IS_AUTHORITY failed
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 17:39:53
1 On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:19:22 -0600, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > > > Helmut is still using consolekit. Are you still using consolekit?
4 > >
5 > > Yes, it's the default for kdm so it is enabled on both computers.
6 >
7 > I don't think it will be the default for much longer; it's unmaintained
8 > code which sooner or later will start to bitrot. Unless someone steps in
9 > and starts taking care of it.
10
11 Quite likely, but for now it is the default and in use on both systems in
12 question.
13
14 > > > I have no idea if consolekit is relevant here, but Canek has been
15 > > > telling us that consolekit is abandonware and we should stop
16 > > > depending on it.
17 > >
18 > > That's part of the drive to put everything in systemd, which I do not
19 > > use.
20 >
21 > Fact is, nobody is maintaining ck; from its homepage[1]:
22 >
23 > "ConsoleKit is currently not actively maintained. The focus has shifted
24 > to the built-in seat/user/session management of Software/systemd called
25 > systemd-logind!"
26
27 That's what I was paraphrasing above. I checked the latest status on that
28 page before replying.
29
30 > That message has been there for months; in general ck kinda still works,
31 > although it never really solved the problem of properly tracking user
32 > sessions, which is why everybody involved with it quickly jumped ship to
33 > logind, where the problem is properly solved.
34
35 The issue for many is that logind is so closely tied to systemd.
36
37 > However, as the interfaces in the stack evolves, unmaintained code like
38 > ck will simply stop to work. ConsoleKit uses dbus heavily, and with the
39 > introduction of kdbus[2] and the inevitable changes that will happen to
40 > dbus, combined with nobody taking care of ck, I don't think it will keep
41 > working much longer.
42
43 That's a reasonable prediction.
44 >
45 > Ubuntu and Debian (now that is seriously discussing which modern init
46 > system to use) have been discussing an alternative, API compatible
47 > implementation of logind, but I don't know if it has got nowhere. I
48 > think that has more future than ck, but again, nobody (AFAIK) has
49 > stepped in and do the heavy coding.
50
51 Leaving aside my concerns about systemd, I am not happy with the "all
52 eggs in one basket" direction things seem to be taking. Whatever happened
53 to tolls doing one job and doing it well?
54
55 > Independently, though, I think is safe to say that ConsoleKit is a dead
56 > end.
57
58 In the future, most probably. but right now it is the preferred option
59 for KDM.
63 Neil Bothwick
64
65 I spilled Spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.