From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hwclock <--> sysclock and the ntp-client
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 18:14:42
1 On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > to get the correct system time I use ntp-client in the boot process.
5 > Furthermore in /etc/conf.d/hwclock I set:
6 >
7 >    # Set CLOCK to "UTC" if your Hardware Clock is set to UTC (also known as
8 >    # Greenwich Mean Time).  If that clock is set to the local time, then
9 >    # set CLOCK to "local".  Note that if you dual boot with Windows, then
10 >    # you should set it to "local".
11 >    clock="UTC"
12 >
13 >    # If you want to set the Hardware Clock to the current System Time
14 >    # (software clock) during shutdown, then say "YES" here.
15 >    # You normally don't need to do this if you run a ntp daemon.
16 >    clock_systohc="YES"
17 >
18 >    # If you want to set the system time to the current hardware clock
19 >    # during bootup, then say "YES" here. You do not need this if you are
20 >    # running a modern kernel with CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS set to y.
21 >    # Also, be aware that if you set this to "NO", the system time will
22 >    # never be saved to the hardware clock unless you set
23 >    # clock_systohc="YES" above.
24 >    clock_hctosys="NO"
25 >
26 >    # If you wish to pass any other arguments to hwclock during bootup,
27 >    # you may do so here. Alpha users may wish to use --arc or --srm here.
28 >    clock_args=""
29 >
30 > In the kernel config file I had set:
31 >
32 >    CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS=y
33 >    CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS_DEVICE="rtc0"
34 >
35 > I would exspect that after a reboot of the system which system time is
36 > correctly set via ntp-client that the hwclock and system time only
37 > differ in a small amount of time.
38 >
39 > But:
40 > solfire:/home/mccramer>hwclock
41 > Mon Feb  6 19:05:11 2012  -0.172569 seconds
42 > solfire:/home/mccramer>date
43 > Mon Feb  6 18:49:37 CET 2012
44 > solfire:/home/mccramer>
45
46 I don't know the CET tz, but I can see that the minutes don't match
47 up. I assume you rand the two commands within seconds of each other.
48 Is this true immediately after bootup, or does it take a while to get
49 that far off? It could be that your hardware clock is drifting, and
50 the system won't reset it until it goes to shutdown.
53 :wq