From: James <jtp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox + kernel panic 2.6.38-r2
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 17:46:17
1 There doesn't seem to be anything in the VBox.log that indicates the
2 system had a hard lockup. I imagine the kernel panicing resulted in
3 VirtualBox being unable to write to the log.
4
5 Is anyone running VB on a Linux raid partition? I've logically
6 narrowed down the issue to one of the following:
7
8 (a) I've read that network driver(s) have caused some hard lockups on
9 the host...I'm using bridged mode
10 (b) there are some strange messages that appear when the VM is started
11 (regarding misaligned sectors or something like that); I can't seem to
12 find the messages right now, however. I believe md was the one logging
13 the errors; maybe this has something to do with the hard lockup?
14 (c) SMP has probably been ruled out; I have two 4-core Intel 5570s;
15 the system is under no load whatsoever. In fact, the last two kernel
16 panics occurred during Windows installation.
17
18 Any other thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?
19
20 -james
21