From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system - errors
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 01:27:58
1 On 11/22/2020 06:16 PM, Jack wrote:
2 > On 2020.11.22 20:09, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> On 11/22/2020 05:25 PM, Michael wrote:
4 >> > On Sunday, 22 November 2020 23:39:44 GMT thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >> >> OK, I used Gparted (Bootable usb) to copy partition from:
6 >> >> Western Digital driver, usually:
7 >> >> /dev/sda1 etc
8 >> >>
9 >> >> to M.2 SSD
10 >> >> /dev/ nvme0n1p1 etc
11 >> >>
12 >> >> I can boot M.2 drive, but the x-server doesn't work (even though I use
13 >> >> same graphical card).  Network is not working (easy fix, new driver
14 >> >> needs to be compiled IN) but there is a bigger problem.
15 >> >
16 >> > If you have cloned each partition from the old to the new disk, then
17 >> the new
18 >> > disk should work exactly as the old disk does.  I mean, it should
19 >> have the
20 >> > same kernel, the same / filesystem, the same modules, etc.
21 >> >
22 >> > Since the new disk is an nvme drive, you will need additional
23 >> drivers - should
24 >> > these not be available in the old kernel.
25 >> >
26 >> >
27 >> >> Duplicating was easy, but when I try to recompile a kernel I get an
28 >> error:
29 >> >>
30 >> >> make menuconfig
31 >> >> HOSTCC script/kconfig/mconf.o
32 >> >> <build-in> : internal compiler error: Illegal instruction
33 >> >>
34 >> >> Even if I try to run: emerge --info  I get:
35 >> >> Illegal instruction
36 >> >>
37 >> >> In addition my fstab doesn't look correct (but it works)
38 >> >> /dev/sda1    /boot    ext2
39 >> >>
40 >> >> It should be something like:
41 >> >> /dev/nvme0n1p1   /boot   ext2
42 >> >
43 >> > Do you have both disks connected to the MoBo when you're trying to
44 >> boot from
45 >> > the new disk?
46 >>
47 >> Yes, they are both connected
48 >>
49 >> > Have you changed the UUIDs on the new partitions?
50 >>
51 >> Never used UUID in fstab. Do I just run: blkid|grep UUID
52 >> and copy it to fstab.
53 >>
54 >> > Have you installed the boot manager on the new disk (if using MBR)?
55 >>
56 >> I just copied the whole MBR to a new disk and it worked, the system
57 >> boots, but nothing can be compiled.
58 > I would confirm that you are really booted from the new disk and not the
59 > old one.  It is possible that the MBR from the new disk was used to
60 > boot, but if /etc/fstab says /boot is mounted from /dev/sda1 then that
61 > does seem wrong.  I almost always put an empty file in the root of each
62 > partition named for the disk/partition just so I can be sure what's
63 > actually mounted.  Is /etc/fstab identical on both disks?  What does
64 > fstab say about where / is mounted from?
65
66 You are absolutely correct. I was booting the whole time the Western
67 Digital (old drive). :-/ My mistake, once I removed the WD drive the
68 new M.2 SSD doesn't even boot.
69 I think the easiest way would be to re-install the Getnoo from scratch
70 and dig out the old programs I need from "attic". Mixing/moving SSD
71 (sda) and M2.2 (nvme0n1) and transferring partitions might not be as easy.