From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system - errors
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 01:17:02
1 On 2020.11.22 20:09, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 11/22/2020 05:25 PM, Michael wrote:
3 > > On Sunday, 22 November 2020 23:39:44 GMT thelma@×××××××××××.com
4 > wrote:
5 > >> OK, I used Gparted (Bootable usb) to copy partition from:
6 > >> Western Digital driver, usually:
7 > >> /dev/sda1 etc
8 > >>
9 > >> to M.2 SSD
10 > >> /dev/ nvme0n1p1 etc
11 > >>
12 > >> I can boot M.2 drive, but the x-server doesn't work (even though I
13 > use
14 > >> same graphical card). Network is not working (easy fix, new driver
15 > >> needs to be compiled IN) but there is a bigger problem.
16 > >
17 > > If you have cloned each partition from the old to the new disk,
18 > then the new
19 > > disk should work exactly as the old disk does. I mean, it should
20 > have the
21 > > same kernel, the same / filesystem, the same modules, etc.
22 > >
23 > > Since the new disk is an nvme drive, you will need additional
24 > drivers - should
25 > > these not be available in the old kernel.
28 > >> Duplicating was easy, but when I try to recompile a kernel I get
29 > an error:
30 > >>
31 > >> make menuconfig
32 > >> HOSTCC script/kconfig/mconf.o
33 > >> <build-in> : internal compiler error: Illegal instruction
34 > >>
35 > >> Even if I try to run: emerge --info I get:
36 > >> Illegal instruction
37 > >>
38 > >> In addition my fstab doesn't look correct (but it works)
39 > >> /dev/sda1 /boot ext2
40 > >>
41 > >> It should be something like:
42 > >> /dev/nvme0n1p1 /boot ext2
43 > >
44 > > Do you have both disks connected to the MoBo when you're trying to
45 > boot from
46 > > the new disk?
47 >
48 > Yes, they are both connected
49 >
50 > > Have you changed the UUIDs on the new partitions?
51 >
52 > Never used UUID in fstab. Do I just run: blkid|grep UUID
53 > and copy it to fstab.
54 >
55 > > Have you installed the boot manager on the new disk (if using MBR)?
56 >
57 > I just copied the whole MBR to a new disk and it worked, the system
58 > boots, but nothing can be compiled.
59 I would confirm that you are really booted from the new disk and not
60 the old one. It is possible that the MBR from the new disk was used to
61 boot, but if /etc/fstab says /boot is mounted from /dev/sda1 then that
62 does seem wrong. I almost always put an empty file in the root of each
63 partition named for the disk/partition just so I can be sure what's
64 actually mounted. Is /etc/fstab identical on both disks? What does
65 fstab say about where / is mounted from?