From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system - errors
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 01:09:22
1 On 11/22/2020 05:25 PM, Michael wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 22 November 2020 23:39:44 GMT thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> OK, I used Gparted (Bootable usb) to copy partition from:
4 >> Western Digital driver, usually:
5 >> /dev/sda1 etc
6 >>
7 >> to M.2 SSD
8 >> /dev/ nvme0n1p1 etc
9 >>
10 >> I can boot M.2 drive, but the x-server doesn't work (even though I use
11 >> same graphical card). Network is not working (easy fix, new driver
12 >> needs to be compiled IN) but there is a bigger problem.
13 >
14 > If you have cloned each partition from the old to the new disk, then the new
15 > disk should work exactly as the old disk does. I mean, it should have the
16 > same kernel, the same / filesystem, the same modules, etc.
17 >
18 > Since the new disk is an nvme drive, you will need additional drivers - should
19 > these not be available in the old kernel.
22 >> Duplicating was easy, but when I try to recompile a kernel I get an error:
23 >>
24 >> make menuconfig
25 >> HOSTCC script/kconfig/mconf.o
26 >> <build-in> : internal compiler error: Illegal instruction
27 >>
28 >> Even if I try to run: emerge --info I get:
29 >> Illegal instruction
30 >>
31 >> In addition my fstab doesn't look correct (but it works)
32 >> /dev/sda1 /boot ext2
33 >>
34 >> It should be something like:
35 >> /dev/nvme0n1p1 /boot ext2
36 >
37 > Do you have both disks connected to the MoBo when you're trying to boot from
38 > the new disk?
39
40 Yes, they are both connected
41
42 > Have you changed the UUIDs on the new partitions?
43
44 Never used UUID in fstab. Do I just run: blkid|grep UUID
45 and copy it to fstab.
46
47 > Have you installed the boot manager on the new disk (if using MBR)?
48
49 I just copied the whole MBR to a new disk and it worked, the system
50 boots, but nothing can be compiled.