From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system - errors
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 00:25:37
1 On Sunday, 22 November 2020 23:39:44 GMT thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > OK, I used Gparted (Bootable usb) to copy partition from:
3 > Western Digital driver, usually:
4 > /dev/sda1 etc
5 >
6 > to M.2 SSD
7 > /dev/ nvme0n1p1 etc
8 >
9 > I can boot M.2 drive, but the x-server doesn't work (even though I use
10 > same graphical card). Network is not working (easy fix, new driver
11 > needs to be compiled IN) but there is a bigger problem.
12
13 If you have cloned each partition from the old to the new disk, then the new
14 disk should work exactly as the old disk does. I mean, it should have the
15 same kernel, the same / filesystem, the same modules, etc.
16
17 Since the new disk is an nvme drive, you will need additional drivers - should
18 these not be available in the old kernel.
21 > Duplicating was easy, but when I try to recompile a kernel I get an error:
22 >
23 > make menuconfig
24 > HOSTCC script/kconfig/mconf.o
25 > <build-in> : internal compiler error: Illegal instruction
26 >
27 > Even if I try to run: emerge --info I get:
28 > Illegal instruction
29 >
30 > In addition my fstab doesn't look correct (but it works)
31 > /dev/sda1 /boot ext2
32 >
33 > It should be something like:
34 > /dev/nvme0n1p1 /boot ext2
35
36 Do you have both disks connected to the MoBo when you're trying to boot from
37 the new disk?
38
39 Have you changed the UUIDs on the new partitions?
40
41 Have you installed the boot manager on the new disk (if using MBR)?