From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] K3b complains about my locale
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 21:39:17
1 On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Thursday 29 May 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > When I crank up K3b, it complains about my setup, with the message
5 > >
6 > > "System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968
7 > > Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode
8 > > filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this has
9 > > been done intentionally.
10 > > Most likely the locale is not set at all. An invalid setting will
11 > > result in problems when creating data projects.
12 > > Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_*
13 > > environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools take
14 > > care of this."
15 > >
16 > > It is correct that this is not intentional (it does seem antique). I
17 > have
18 > > configured .mybashrc to set my LANG to "en_US", but nothing beyond that.
19 > > What "distribution setup tools" is it referring to, so that I can correct
20 > > this on gentoo?
21 >
22 > What have you set up in your /etc/locale.gen ?
25 I won't take credit for setting this up, because I don't think I did. On
26 the other hand,
27 I've had occasion to internationalize a web page to dutch and polish, which
28 appear
29 in the list. So I dunno where it came from.
30
31 But here's what's there:
32
33 # /etc/locale.gen: list all of the locales you want to have on your system
34 #
35 # The format of each line:
36 # <locale> <charmap>
37 #
38 # Where <locale> is a locale located in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ and
39 # where <charmap> is a charmap located in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/.
40 #
41 # All blank lines and lines starting with # are ignored.
42 #
43 # For the default list of supported combinations, see the file:
44 # /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
45 #
46 # Whenever glibc is emerged, the locales listed here will be automatically
47 # rebuilt for you. After updating this file, you can simply run
48 `locale-gen`
49 # yourself instead of re-emerging glibc.
50
51 en_US ISO-8859-1
52 en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
53 #ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP