From: creighto@××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2.4 -> 2.6 wierdness, solved!
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 23:17:11
1 I checked all of the following and found them matching perfectly, in the
2 end it was a simple change of the intel-agp module's name that had my
3 system in fits. Thanks for all of your help everyone.
4
5 Now on to setting up the new sound system...
8 > Check /etc/udev/50-udev.rules. You should have a line that says:
9 >
10 > KERNEL="agpgart", NAME="misc/%k", SYMLINK="%k"
11 >
12 > A quick explanation of how udev works may help you find the real problem
13 > here:
14 >
15 > For drivers compiled into the kernel, their device nodes get created
16 > either:
17 >
18 > 1. permanently by creating the device nodes manually and using the
19 > tarball feature in /etc/conf.d/rc
20 >
21 > 2. When udevstart is executed by /sbin/rc during startup
22 >
23 > For modules, the device nodes are created when the kernel runs
24 > /sbin/udevsend when the module is loaded. You *must* have hotplug
25 > support in the kernel for this though.
26 >
27 > You can cause udev to generate debug messages by setting "udev_log = 7"
28 > in /etc/udev/udev.conf. The debug output goes to /var/log/messages.
32 >>-genkernel --udev --menuconfig all will not show me an option that refers
33 >>to AGP anything, is this a bus?
37 > Well, in the normal kernel configuration, It is under "Device
38 > drivers->Character devices->/dev/apgart".
39 >
40 > You need both AGPGART and the chipset specific driver. For example, my
41 > config has:
42 >
43 > carcharias linux # grep AGP /usr/src/linux/.config
44 > CONFIG_AGP=y
45 > # CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set
46 > # CONFIG_AGP_ATI is not set
47 > # CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set
48 > # CONFIG_AGP_AMD64 is not set
49 > CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
50 > # CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA is not set
51 > # CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
52 > # CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
53 > # CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set
54 > # CONFIG_AGP_EFFICEON is not set
55 >
56 >>-I tried compiling the kernel directly once and got a kernel panic, I
57 >>don't remember if AGP was mentioned in that case.
62 > Most common cause of this is not compiling the required drivers for your
63 > root filesystem (disk and filesystem drivers) into your kernel. Such
64 > drivers cannot be modules without a great deal of effort.
65 >
66 > -Richard
67 >
68 > --