From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2.4 -> 2.6 wierdness
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 05:21:47
1 creighto@××××××.org wrote:
2
3 >Okay, let's start over. I have only posted the first post of this thread,
4 >but I would say that all off the noise may imply that I am not alone here.
5 >
6 >-I have a working setup in 2.4, less so now than before, but xorg does
7 >still work.
8 >
9 >-in 2.6, xorg will break and complain that /dev/agpgart does not exist.
14 Check /etc/udev/50-udev.rules. You should have a line that says:
15
16 KERNEL="agpgart", NAME="misc/%k", SYMLINK="%k"
17
18 A quick explanation of how udev works may help you find the real problem
19 here:
20
21 For drivers compiled into the kernel, their device nodes get created either:
22
23 1. permanently by creating the device nodes manually and using the
24 tarball feature in /etc/conf.d/rc
25
26 2. When udevstart is executed by /sbin/rc during startup
27
28 For modules, the device nodes are created when the kernel runs
29 /sbin/udevsend when the module is loaded. You *must* have hotplug
30 support in the kernel for this though.
31
32 You can cause udev to generate debug messages by setting "udev_log = 7"
33 in /etc/udev/udev.conf. The debug output goes to /var/log/messages.
37 >-genkernel --udev --menuconfig all will not show me an option that refers
38 >to AGP anything, is this a bus?
42 Well, in the normal kernel configuration, It is under "Device
43 drivers->Character devices->/dev/apgart".
44
45 You need both AGPGART and the chipset specific driver. For example, my
46 config has:
47
48 carcharias linux # grep AGP /usr/src/linux/.config
49 CONFIG_AGP=y
50 # CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set
51 # CONFIG_AGP_ATI is not set
52 # CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set
53 # CONFIG_AGP_AMD64 is not set
54 CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
55 # CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA is not set
56 # CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
57 # CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
58 # CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set
59 # CONFIG_AGP_EFFICEON is not set
60
61 >-I tried compiling the kernel directly once and got a kernel panic, I
62 >don't remember if AGP was mentioned in that case.
67 Most common cause of this is not compiling the required drivers for your
68 root filesystem (disk and filesystem drivers) into your kernel. Such
69 drivers cannot be modules without a great deal of effort.
70
71 -Richard
74 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list