From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Inter-package dependencies.
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 19:45:25
1 On 6/20/19 8:55 AM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2019-06-20 13:30, aleiphoenix . wrote:
3 >
4 >> ewarn "<sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-5.2"
5 >
6 > I didn't know about vanilla-sources. Is there any advantage of using
7 > this package over just downloading tarballs or patchlevel updates from
8 > kernel.org?
11 That's a good question. I suppose the only benefit would be having
12 portage manage the package. I just looked and all vanilla-sources
13 kernels are in testing/unstable.
14
15 I would think the only advantage is you wouldn't have to worry about
16 portage removing kernel sources you're using. (As they could not be
17 reinstallable if the package has been removed from the tree.)
18
19 Dan