From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: status of dev-java/icedtea
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 00:30:33
1 Andrew Savchenko <bircoph <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 14:00:29 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 1:34 PM, James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > No wonder the gentoo dev graveyard is so much bigger than those who are
8 > > > still active....
9 > >
10 > > You're probably conflating effect with cause. It isn't like the
11 > > treecleaners arose and drove off all the devs. (How could they?
12 > > There are only a few of them, and Gentoo policy does operate by
13 > > majority rules.)
14 >
15 > I agree with James, the tree cleaners are on the verge of abusing
16 > their power as well as the security team in PMASK-related issues.
17 >
18 > A lot of packages are being removed just because upstream is AWOL
19 > and package has no maintainer[1]. If package is not
20 > seriously broken, there are _no valid reasons_ to remove it. If
21 > homepage is not availed or was not updated for a few years, but
22 > package still works fine, it should not be removed. "Packages are
23 > still sitting in ~arch" is even less grounded reason: some people
24 > do not use arch at all (including myself).
25 >
26 > Of course such packages have higher probability of being broken in
27 > the future, but as long as they work, they must remain in the tree.
28 >
29 > Same applies for security team, some packages are being masked for
30 > removal due to either minor security issues[2] or issues affecting
31 > very limited number of application use cases[3].
32 >
33 > I understand that people are probably irritated like "we don't want
34 > more of this crap in the tree", but they may do more harm than good
35 > with such approach.
36
37 Since Sunrise is closing down, the attic is not being refreshed and there
38 is not current github based system like retreiving old codes from the attic,
39 I think something need to 'arranged' to effect the ability of users to
40 retrieve old codes, and work on them, perhaps overlays.
43 > > It is more like Gentoo's popularity has waned somewhat and we don't
44 > > have as many devs as we used to
45 >
46 > Cant agree with this: we have approximately the same number of devs
47 > for several last years (actually it is increasing a bit from ~230
48 > to ~240 with VCS write access) and is surely large than <200 about
49 > 5 years ago. And we have more contributors via git-powered
50 > proxy-maintaining now. Of course we need more people engaged and by
51 > all means new developers are welcomed.
52
53 Yes. Well, I'm still struggling with github.
54
55 > But the real problem is in package complexity rise. Not only number
56 > of packages is being increased, but they became more and more
57 > complex, sometimes insane. Large packages often reinvent wheels by
58 > creating their own build systems, tools, complex bootstrapping and
59 > even bundling of their own compilers which can't be unbundled in a
60 > sane way. Sometimes I have a feeling that software developers have
61 > a global contest on the most crazy and b0rked build system.
62
63 Very true. I've ask for a basic github (gentoo centric) wiki doc to
64 help folks get accustomed to github. As an older hack it just a new
65 way of doing things and I'm struggling with those news ways and when to
66 use which one for github. I know there are often many ways to do things,
67 but for folks at my level (strong-user learning the proxy-maint tricks,
68 there should be a few more docs and well defined ways to do things,
69 so the basics are routinely possible by just reading and looking at a few
70 examples. I have no problem digging through the latest version of the
71 dev-manual, or asking for help.
74 > Even Debian has similar issues these days (lack of the manpower to
75 > support over complex stuff)[4].
76
77 Agreed. Since my interest is running codes on clusters (that I control),
78 it's just a natural fit to try and help the sys-cluster team by hacking
79 on older, not critical codes as I learn. sys-frabric and rDMA is also
80 a close project to clustering that I am interested in.
81
82 Also, working on minimal and embedded systems often has a coder
83 use old tools as todays embedded linux systems often resemble systems
84 from years ago and those old CLI tools and C codes are very often usable.
85
86 I routinely go these purge lists and install the codes I want to keep
87 in /usr/local/portage. I really which there was an attic equivalent
88 in github. That would ease a lot of pain, imho.
93 > Best regards,
94 > Andrew Savchenko
95
96 hth (and thanks Andrew)