From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: status of dev-java/icedtea
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2016 20:30:41
1 On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 14:00:29 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 1:34 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > No wonder the gentoo dev graveyard is so much bigger than those who are
5 > > still active....
6 >
7 > You're probably conflating effect with cause. It isn't like the
8 > treecleaners arose and drove off all the devs. (How could they?
9 > There are only a few of them, and Gentoo policy does operate by
10 > majority rules.)
11
12 I agree with James, the tree cleaners are on the verge of abusing
13 their power as well as the security team in PMASK-related issues.
14
15 A lot of packages are being removed just because upstream is AWOL
16 and package has no maintainer[1]. If package is not
17 seriously broken, there are _no valid reasons_ to remove it. If
18 homepage is not availed or was not updated for a few years, but
19 package still works fine, it should not be removed. "Packages are
20 still sitting in ~arch" is even less grounded reason: some people
21 do not use arch at all (including myself).
22
23 Of course such packages have higher probability of being broken in
24 the future, but as long as they work, they must remain in the tree.
25
26 Same applies for security team, some packages are being masked for
27 removal due to either minor security issues[2] or issues affecting
28 very limited number of application use cases[3].
29
30 I understand that people are probably irritated like "we don't want
31 more of this crap in the tree", but they may do more harm than good
32 with such approach.
33
34 > It is more like Gentoo's popularity has waned somewhat and we don't
35 > have as many devs as we used to
36
37 Cant agree with this: we have approximately the same number of devs
38 for several last years (actually it is increasing a bit from ~230
39 to ~240 with VCS write access) and is surely large than <200 about
40 5 years ago. And we have more contributors via git-powered
41 proxy-maintaining now. Of course we need more people engaged and by
42 all means new developers are welcomed.
43
44 But the real problem is in package complexity rise. Not only number
45 of packages is being increased, but they became more and more
46 complex, sometimes insane. Large packages often reinvent wheels by
47 creating their own build systems, tools, complex bootstrapping and
48 even bundling of their own compilers which can't be unbundled in a
49 sane way. Sometimes I have a feeling that software developers have
50 a global contest on the most crazy and b0rked build system.
51
52 Even Debian has similar issues these days (lack of the manpower to
53 support over complex stuff)[4].
54
55 [1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/30e5a50efa8d99d16ffc8dc2e0016557
56 [2] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/5bc0c48c37c89dba2893389d6f66a240