From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: status of dev-java/icedtea
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2016 18:00:45
1 On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 1:34 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > No wonder the gentoo dev graveyard is so much bigger than those who are
4 > still active....
5
6 You're probably conflating effect with cause. It isn't like the
7 treecleaners arose and drove off all the devs. (How could they?
8 There are only a few of them, and Gentoo policy does operate by
9 majority rules.)
10
11 It is more like Gentoo's popularity has waned somewhat and we don't
12 have as many devs as we used to, and treecleaners have been removing
13 packages.
14
15 Really all it takes to keep a package around is somebody standing up
16 to commit to take care of it, and they don't have to be a developer.
17 If nobody is willing to do that (and yes, you do need to follow QA
18 standards when doing so), then removal is just a matter of time.
19
20 > Every other distro is at peace with java, but not
21 > gentoo. It never has been. Many devs just hate java and do everything they
22 > can to removed it from gentoo, imho.
23
24 I won't disagree that most Gentoo devs tend to dislike Java. Half the
25 reason we use github as much as we do is because the alternatives
26 mostly use Java and infra doesn't want to touch it with a ten foot
27 pole, and neither do any volunteers, really.
28
29 However, all it really takes to make Gentoo well-supported on Gentoo
30 is a dev or two willing to enthusiastically care for it. Ultimately
31 Gentoo is what we make of it.
32
33 And of course you can maintain all this stuff on an overlay if you
34 prefer. Nobody could even stop you from doing that. I don't get why
35 you think there is some conspiracy out to get rid of overlays. Many
36 Gentoo projects use them, most Gentoo devs use them, they're clearly
37 useful, and there is no real benefit to anybody to try to lock things
38 down so that only official overlays work.
39
40 Really the only goal here is to make sure the stuff that bears
41 Gentoo's name is secure and well-maintained and doesn't create burdens
42 on other projects. Nobody really cares what you do on your own
43 overlay, because it doesn't have any effect on anything Gentoo does.
44
45 So, if even one person decided to put some well-maintained packages on
46 a java overlay then anybody who wants to use them could.
47
48 The irony here is that I tend to favor keeping unmaintained packages
49 around as long as possible. I've certainly gotten into arguments with
50 treecleaners in the past. However, there are sometimes lines that
51 packages end up on the wrong side of, and at that point either
52 somebody has to put in the work to fix them, or they need to be
53 removed.
56 Rich