From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: status of dev-java/icedtea
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2016 18:26:46
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > Really all it takes to keep a package around is somebody standing up
5 > to commit to take care of it, and they don't have to be a developer.
6 > If nobody is willing to do that (and yes, you do need to follow QA
7 > standards when doing so), then removal is just a matter of time.
8
9 That's not my reality. I volunteered to take over (4) cluster packages
10 from the soon-to-retire dev, jsbronder, on gentoo-dev. It was agreed to.
11 In another thread, I basically stated that I am not compatible with irc, so
12 some devs said oh, we now have a mail_list for proxy maint. Cool, right?
13 Well, I've subscribe to the list several times, tried to post directly
14 to the ML and via gmane::
15
16 ttp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.proxy-maint
17
18 to no avail.
19
20 (2/4) of the packages ganglia, are now listed with sys-cluster project,
21 as is openmesh, which is OK and the last one ::
22 media-gfx/openmesh is 'Maintainer: None specified '
25 I was told to change the metadata.xml on the packages I wanted to claim,
26 but I cannot find an example of how a ordinary user can do this. If it
27 is a 'pull request' via github, somebody needs to document that somewhere as
28 it is the first step and a critical step.
29
30 There needs to be a way to ask questions, via a MailList on for proxy folks
31 so those questions and answer can be coallesced into a FAQ and eventually be
32 use to create formal gentoo wiki docs. The routine actions of a proxy-dev
33 (let's say the most common 20-40) things you need to know and do, needs to
34 be documented (in the gentoo wiki) including a cookbook on github.
35
36 So your answer is correct if you have dev-level skills but not accurate for
37 ordinary users. Note:: I do know how to code and use bash, but not github.
38 I think it is unreasonable not to have a github cookbook as it relates to
39 the routine things you need to do to take over a gentoo package.
42 > > Every other distro is at peace with java, but not
43 > > gentoo. It never has been. Many devs just hate java and do everything they
44 > > can to removed it from gentoo, imho.
45 >
46 > I won't disagree that most Gentoo devs tend to dislike Java. Half the
47 > reason we use github as much as we do is because the alternatives
48 > mostly use Java and infra doesn't want to touch it with a ten foot
49 > pole, and neither do any volunteers, really.
50 >
51 > However, all it really takes to make Gentoo well-supported on Gentoo
52 > is a dev or two willing to enthusiastically care for it. Ultimately
53 > Gentoo is what we make of it.
54
55 Yea, well I've tried for years but, I'm a hack and a follower on java,
56 not a designer or somebody that works with it day in and day out.
57
58 I have a very important (probably one of the hottest codes in the entire
59 cluster space, broken as an ebuild in bgo:: apache/spark, because we
60 lack java expertise......
63 > And of course you can maintain all this stuff on an overlay if you
64 > prefer. Nobody could even stop you from doing that. I don't get why
65 > you think there is some conspiracy out to get rid of overlays. Many
66 > Gentoo projects use them, most Gentoo devs use them, they're clearly
67 > useful, and there is no real benefit to anybody to try to lock things
68 > down so that only official overlays work.
69 >
70 > Really the only goal here is to make sure the stuff that bears
71 > Gentoo's name is secure and well-maintained and doesn't create burdens
72 > on other projects. Nobody really cares what you do on your own
73 > overlay, because it doesn't have any effect on anything Gentoo does.
74
75 So a new overlay that I run, should be on github? I need help with github,
76 it's a blocker of a lot of my gentoo work.
79 > So, if even one person decided to put some well-maintained packages on
80 > a java overlay then anybody who wants to use them could.
81
82 I routinely use the java-overlay
83
84 > The irony here is that I tend to favor keeping unmaintained packages
85 > around as long as possible. I've certainly gotten into arguments with
86 > treecleaners in the past. However, there are sometimes lines that
87 > packages end up on the wrong side of, and at that point either
88 > somebody has to put in the work to fix them, or they need to be
89 > removed.
90
91 Obviously we agree on leaving old codes around. If they are to be removed
92 from the tree, a mechanism for invididuals to resurrect them needs to be
93 complete, *FIRST*, imho.
94
95 I was very happy to see the Blueness 'slap-down' for their actions on
96 ' monkeyd'. All those old 'C' codes that are not harming anything, are being
97 cleansed, cause the cleaners like other languages. They are not hurting a
98 thing and can easily be moved to unstable and left in the tree.
99
100 What the github replacement for the attic, and where do I find docs on how
101 to use it. github is a 'pita' for this old C hack..... Perhaps stop the tree
102 cleaning until there is a documented replacement (github centric)
103 for the attic?
106 James