From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: status of dev-java/icedtea
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2016 20:23:31
1 On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 2:26 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > That's not my reality. I volunteered to take over (4) cluster packages
4 > from the soon-to-retire dev, jsbronder, on gentoo-dev. It was agreed to.
5 > In another thread, I basically stated that I am not compatible with irc, so
6 > some devs said oh, we now have a mail_list for proxy maint. Cool, right?
7 > Well, I've subscribe to the list several times, tried to post directly
8 > to the ML and via gmane::
9 >
10 > ttp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.proxy-maint
11 >
12 > to no avail.
13
14 Can you elaborate? You posted and nobody replied? You were never
15 able to post? It isn't really clear what the issue is here...
18 > I was told to change the metadata.xml on the packages I wanted to claim,
19 > but I cannot find an example of how a ordinary user can do this. If it
20 > is a 'pull request' via github, somebody needs to document that somewhere as
21 > it is the first step and a critical step.
24 You'd need somebody else to commit it for you. A pull request would
25 be a good way to go about it.
26
27 > There needs to be a way to ask questions, via a MailList on for proxy folks
28 > so those questions and answer can be coallesced into a FAQ and eventually be
29 > use to create formal gentoo wiki docs. The routine actions of a proxy-dev
30 > (let's say the most common 20-40) things you need to know and do, needs to
31 > be documented (in the gentoo wiki) including a cookbook on github.
32
33 That would be the mailing list you just mentioned.
34
35 And this:
36 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Github
37
38 Of course, it could probably be improved.
41 > So a new overlay that I run, should be on github? I need help with github,
42 > it's a blocker of a lot of my gentoo work.
45 Overlays can be hosted just about anywhere. But, github is a good
46 place if you don't have something better, since it combines
47 distribution and version control. You could just stick a directory on
48 a webserver anywhere and copy your /usr/local/portage over to it and
49 you'd be 98% of the way there.
52 > Obviously we agree on leaving old codes around. If they are to be removed
53 > from the tree, a mechanism for invididuals to resurrect them needs to be
54 > complete, *FIRST*, imho.
57 We can't just leave broken packages in the active tree until somebody
58 feels like improving documentation.
59
60 The situation would hardly be improved if 30% of the time when
61 somebody finds a package in the repo they type "emerge pkgname" and it
62 gives a build error.
63
64 If it isn't broken, it shouldn't be removed at all. If it is broken,
65 it simply has to be removed.
68 > What the github replacement for the attic, and where do I find docs on how
69 > to use it. github is a 'pita' for this old C hack..... Perhaps stop the tree
70 > cleaning until there is a documented replacement (github centric)
71 > for the attic?
74 It is a bit of a pita with git, unfortunately. You need to search the
75 history to find deleted files (there is no record in the present
76 commit of anything that doesn't exist in the present, so git has to
77 basically go back and check every past commit until it finds a file
78 you search for by name). You need to clone the repo and then use
79 something like this:
80 https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7203515/git-how-to-search-for-a-deleted-file-in-the-project-commit-history
81
82 If somebody wanted to actually list all the deleted files in a
83 directory (which in CVS you'd do just by looking at the contents of
84 the Attic directory), you'd need to systematically diff every single
85 tree in git against its predecessor in history and make a note of
86 anytime a file disappears (that isn't quite as bad as it seems as you
87 can tell whether anything in a directory's children have changed just
88 by comparing the parents, so it isn't like you need to descend every
89 subdirectory in every commit). I have a script that basically does
90 that using a map/reduce approach (it finds every unique version of
91 every file in the history by comparing every commit against its
92 predecessor).
93
94 Don't get me wrong - I get that git is a bit hard to get into. It is
95 one of those things that you'll struggle with until you grok it. I
96 will tell you that it is worth groking though. Oh, and the standard
97 git command-line program has a horrible interface (in terms of
98 parameters, commands, etc). It is inconsistent and confusing.
99 SVN/CVS were much simpler to understand in comparison, as they didn't
100 require some kind of paradigm shift to appreciate.
101
102 I can't say I have a handy reference to get started with. This one
103 seems to start out good at least:
104 https://www.sbf5.com/~cduan/technical/git/
105
106 I will agree with his opening premise:
107 The conclusion I draw from this is that you can only really use Git if
108 you understand how Git works. Merely memorizing which commands you
109 should run at what times will work in the short run, but it’s only a
110 matter of time before you get stuck or, worse, break something.
111
112 Git is basically a really great data model with a command line
113 interface that Linus whipped out in 20min so that he could get back to
114 the kernel, with a bunch of commands that he basically tossed together
115 anytime something annoyed him (git-am, anyone?).
118 Rich