From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: status of dev-java/icedtea
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2016 17:34:47
1 Ian Zimmerman <itz <at> buug.org> writes:
4 > > As far as I understand, we generally recommend icedtea over Oracle's
5 > > Java stuff.
6
7 > Really? The thread started with me asking about the removal of icedtea
8 > from stable. (Looking at its list of build dependencies, I sorta
9 > understand :P)
10
11 I have to agree with Ian on this. In fact the tree cleaners have removed lots
12 of packages just because they can. I have dozens in my personal
13 /usr/local/portage tree now, that should not have been tossed, imho.
14
15 icedtea is widely used, but I got tired of fighting the 'gentoo java
16 mentality' There on a mission to purge as much as possible. A vew years back,
17 that had massive problems with java being poorly maintained. Since the java
18 project revitalization, it's a crusade to purge everthing that 'the few' do
19 not want. Hell, just leave it and mark it as unstable. There are tons of
20 'security issues' causing packages to be removed, when the security issues
21 are very minor or irrelevant. Here is one smack-down::
22
23 06/30/2016 10:00 PM
24 [gentoo-dev] why is the security team running around
25
26 It's a disease to clean the tree to the port of a few devs personal
27 preferences. Many have been put in the orphaned pile, but that is not an
28 excuse to purge those packages.
29
30 I tried to proxy maintain, via the proxy mailing list, but that is
31 disfunctional. I strongly detest IRC, so I have resolved to just move
32 packages to /usr/local/portage and quit wasting time on idiots with closed
33 minds. I could go on and on, but at some point it's just a time-sink.
34 The default stance ought to be to leave packages in the tree, even if they
35 are broken. It's always easier to resurect a broken package that create an
36 ebuild from scratch, as much of the 'one-off-logic' is already delineated in
37 an old, broken ebuild.
38
39 We use to have the attic. But there is no easy to use feature now in github,
40 to the best of my knowledge, so the attic will soon be deprecated too.
41 Sunrise is on the chopping block too.
42
43 You want a package, and it works, my suggestions is to install it asap.
44 the copy all the files to /usr/local/portage and plan on maintaining it
45 yourself. Once you get quite a lot, it's time to figure out how to put
46 them in an overlay. Oh, Overlays, not officially sanction, will probably be
47 the next QA tree cleaning horse-feathered project to get the boot. It's
48 getting worse not better and it does not have to be like this.
49
50 SIMPLE. Before these devs destroy something, require them to put the
51 replacement system in place, including reasonable wiki docs and run it for 6
52 months or more to work out the bug, then eliminate things they do not like.
53 Oh, we can do that. We can leave alone codes and such that has worked or is
54 barely broken, or both with a new, documented replacement system before
55 remove things *I* do not like, as a dev.
58 No wonder the gentoo dev graveyard is so much bigger than those who are
59 still active.... Note:: I have been bitchen about java for years and years
60 and it is mostly *hated* by the gentoo dev community, for a large variety of
61 reason. They mostly just refuse to leave it alone or functional, because of
62 their perspective on it. Every other distro is at peace with java, but not
63 gentoo. It never has been. Many devs just hate java and do everything they
64 can to removed it from gentoo, imho.
65
66 my opinion (flame on!)
67 James