From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.0 and oldconfig
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:35:04
1 Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 >
3 > On Saturday, July 23 at 01:10 (-0500), Dale said:
6 >> I was hoping since it was a whole different numbering scheme that it
7 >> was
8 >> a major change. That was the reason for my question. I didn't know
9 >> if
10 >> this was major or a normal update or something else. I was hoping
11 >> for
12 >> something like when Seamonkey went from version 1.* to 2.* but this
13 >> is
14 >> not the case. The reason I was hoping for this was because of my
15 >> kernel
16 >> panic issue. I'm still hopeful that something may have been updated
17 >> that will fix my problem but I'm not as hopeful now since this is
18 >> nothing great.
19 >>
20 > Yeah, but a kernel panic is *not* a major issue. They are reported all
21 > the time. And it probably doesn't take a *major* change to fix it.
22 >
23 > To the contrary, *major* changes typically introduce more bugs. So you
24 > probably *don't* want a major change.
25 >
26 > * Major change: re-write or architecture change
27 > * Minor change: bug fixes<-- you want this
32 But sometimes major changes can fix things and do things completely
33 different which can lead to other issues being fixed. Seamonkey did the
34 same when they did their major redo.
35
36 Bad thing is, the kernel panics are at it again. I had a little bit of
37 time to download a video or two but here we go again.
38
39 Back to the normal reboots I guess. :-(
40
41 Dale
42