From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]: Denoising software ?
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 16:49:07
1 luis jure <ljc@××××××××××××.uy> [11-12-10 13:28]:
2 > on 2011-12-09 at 13:55 Michael Mol wrote:
3 >
4 > >I couldn't tell you if it's necessarily "good", but Audacity has a
5 > >noise filter.
6 >
7 > that's exactly what i was about to reply.
8 >
9 > and if you want to try a CLI tool, sox provides a similar utility.
10 >
11 > noiseprof [profile-file]
12 > Calculate a profile of the audio for use in noise reduction.
13 > See the description of the noisered effect for details.
14 >
15 > noisered [profile-file [amount]]
16 > Reduce noise in the audio signal by profiling and filtering. This
17 > effect is moderately effective at removing consistent background
18 > noise such as hiss or hum. To use it, first run SoX with the
19 > noise‐ prof effect on a section of audio that ideally would contain
20 > silence but in fact contains noise - such sections are typically
21 > found at the beginning or the end of a recording. noiseprof will
22 > write out a noise profile to profile-file, or to stdout if no
23 > profile-file or if `-' is given. E.g. sox speech.wav -n trim 0 1.5
24 > noiseprof speech.noise-profile To actually remove the noise, run
25 > SoX again, this time with the noisered effect; noisered will
26 > reduce noise according to a noise profile (which was generated by
27 > noiseprof), from profile-file, or from stdin if no profile-file or
28 > if `-' is given. E.g. sox speech.wav cleaned.wav noisered
29 > speech.noise-profile 0.3 How much noise should be removed is
30 > specified by amount-a number between 0 and 1 with a default of
31 > 0.5. Higher numbers will remove more noise but present a greater
32 > likelihood of removing wanted components of the audio signal.
33 > Before replacing an original recording with a noise-reduced
34 > version, experiment with different amount values to find the
35 > optimal one for your audio; use headphones to check that you are
36 > happy with the results, paying particular attention to quieter
37 > sections of the audio.
38 >
39 > On most systems, the two stages - profiling and reduction
40 > - can be combined using a pipe, e.g. sox noisy.wav -n
41 > trim 0 1 noiseprof | play noisy.wav noisered
42 >
43 > never compared the results, if you do, i for one would be very interested
44 > in your experience.
45 >
46 > IMO, it's much better to remove noise by small amounts in successive
47 > passes (taking a new profile each time, of course), than trying to remove
48 > too much noise in one pass.
49 >
50 > let us know how it went!
51 >
52 > lj
55 Thanks for all your replies ! :)
58 In the net I read about audacities denoise and that it is not /that/
59 good. I didnt checked it myself though. At the same place "Gnome Wave
60 Cleaner" (gwc) was recommended instead of audacities denoiser. On its
61 homepage there is also linked a downloadable book about digital signal
62 processing (34 chapters) which looks quite proefessional.
63
64 Gwc is ... not the youngest software and development seems to have
65 stopped. Now I trying to get this beast working under Gentoo.
66 The alsa-problem with "snd_pcm_write" can be workarounded ;) with
67 installing pulseaudio and playing the sound with gwc via pulseaudio
68 instead of with alsa directly.
69 While compiling gwc you need to enable alsa and pulseaudio with
70 ./configure.
71
72 When gwc is running I wll report more.
73 See my other posting sent just before this one.
74
75 Gwc is the first denoise I will try.
76
77 Have a nice, denoised weekend! :)