From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CD/DVD burning tools?
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 12:57:20
1 On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 11:30:11 +0200
2 Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de (Joerg Schilling) wrote:
3
4 > Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > You have written the program prog-a.c and published it on your site
7 > > under the GNU GPL.
8 > >
9 > > I have _independently_ written the prog-b.c.
10 > >
11 > > Nex, I've found your program and liked it. I decide that your
12 > > prog-a.c and my prog-b.c serve a common purpose and they complement
13 > > one another.
14 > >
15 > > The question is if I can take your source (prog-a.c) from your
16 > > site, put it into the same directory with my source (prog-b.c),
17 > > make an archive of that directory and distribute the archive under
18 > > CDDL?
19 >
20 > Why do you come up with a claim that is _completely_ unrelated to
21 > cdrtools?
24 Claim!? I was merely asking a question.
25 Completely unrelated!? How about this:
26
27 mkisofs.c:
28 /*
29 * Program mkisofs.c - generate iso9660 filesystem based upon directory
30 * tree on hard disk.
31 *
32 * Written by Eric Youngdale (1993).
33 *
34 * Copyright 1993 Yggdrasil Computing, Incorporated
35 * Copyright (c) 1999,2000-2007 J. Schilling
36 *
37 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
38 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
39 * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
40 * any later version.
41 *
44 So, you have used other people's GPLd work in your cdrtools project
45 and CDDLd your own work in the same project.
46
47 ... Completely unrelated? LOL
50 > I am not a lawyer. If you like to get general legal advise, go to a
51 > lawyer!
52
53 Well, you're not a lawyer, but Novell and RedHat have lawyers and I
54 believe they did not drop cdrtools in favour to cdrkit for technical
55 reasons. After all you are the one convincing people all the time in
56 the technical superiority of cdrtools.
59 > Do you have any question related to cdrtools?
62 No, not really. Not any more.
66 Best regards,
67 Daniel
68 --