From: Holger Hoffstaette <holger@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel 2.6.27-r5 soft lockup
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 10:46:23
1 On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 18:01:20 +1100, Dave Oxley wrote:
2
3 > I upgraded from gentoo-sources-2.6.27-r4 to -r5 a couple of days ago and
4 > got the below error messages in /var/log/messages. Also dovecot was using
5 > 100% CPU and could not be killed. This resulted in me having to hard reset
6 > the server. This happened 3 times until I eventually reverted back to -r4
7 > and all was stable again. The config used for both kernels was the same
8 > and it happened after irregular intervals of between 5 hours and 9 hours.
9 >
10 > Anyone have any ideas? Things are back to normal now but I will obviously
11 > be wary about my next kernel upgrade.
12
13 More info and pointers to fix here:
14 http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0812.1/02305.html
15 or
16 http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0812.1/02590.html
17
18 Just apply the patch to lib/idr.c and things should be fine again (or wait
19 for stable.10). GregKH is doing an amazing job and it's not his fault, but
20 nevertheless the rate of changes to -stable has just totally spiralled out
21 of control.
22
23 -h