From: Dave Oxley <dave@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel 2.6.27-r5 soft lockup
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:02:01
1 Holger Hoffstaette wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 18:01:20 +1100, Dave Oxley wrote:
5 >> I upgraded from gentoo-sources-2.6.27-r4 to -r5 a couple of days ago and
6 >> got the below error messages in /var/log/messages. Also dovecot was using
7 >> 100% CPU and could not be killed. This resulted in me having to hard reset
8 >> the server. This happened 3 times until I eventually reverted back to -r4
9 >> and all was stable again. The config used for both kernels was the same
10 >> and it happened after irregular intervals of between 5 hours and 9 hours.
11 >>
12 >> Anyone have any ideas? Things are back to normal now but I will obviously
13 >> be wary about my next kernel upgrade.
16 > More info and pointers to fix here:
17 > http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0812.1/02305.html
18 > or
19 > http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0812.1/02590.html
20 >
21 > Just apply the patch to lib/idr.c and things should be fine again (or wait
22 > for stable.10). GregKH is doing an amazing job and it's not his fault, but
23 > nevertheless the rate of changes to -stable has just totally spiralled out
24 > of control.
25 >
26 > -h
27 >
28 Thanks very much for the info. I won't worry about doing an upgrade
29 until .10. I agree, I think the whole kernel development team is doing a
30 wonderful job and this is the first proper hiccup I've had in years. :)
31
32 Cheers,
33 Dave.