From: Manuel McLure <manuel@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CUPS -- fails better!
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:03:38
1 On Sunday 29 January 2006 10:54, maxim wexler wrote:
2
3 > > One option to solve this is to emerge unix2dos and
4 > > use the following command
5 > > line:
6 > >
7 > > unix2dos filetoprint.txt | lp -l
8 >
9 > After removing and re-installing cups and installing
10 > unix2dos got this:
11 >
12 > heathen@sarawak ~ $ unix2dos environment | lpr -l
13 > unix2dos: converting file environment to DOS format
14 > ...
15 > unix2dos: problems converting file environment
16 > lpr: error - scheduler not responding!
17 >
18 > I was sure it was because I had neglected to go to
19 > localhost631 first but
20 > trying to open the page in firefox got "connection
21 > refused" error.
22 >
23 > Only thing that comes to mind is that when I did
24 > emerge -pv cups it said some file(can't recall which)
25 > was being blocked by xpdf which I don't use so I
26 > removed it and cups went in OK. Long shot.
27
28 Sounds like cups wasn't started - does "/etc/init.d/cups restart" show any
29 errors?
30
31 The command line to unix2dos may need to be
32
33 unix2dos <environment | lpr -l
34
35 or
36
37 cat environment | unix2dos | lpr -l
40 Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW <manuel@××××××.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
41 ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
42 no man may kill a cat. -- H.P. Lovecraft
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list