From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CUPS -- fails better!
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:59:23
1 --- "Manuel A. McLure" <manuel@××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On Monday 23 January 2006 07:20 pm, maxim wexler
4 > wrote:
5 > > This time the printer whirred to life printed the
6 > > first line of text across the very top of the
7 > paper
8 > > then quit with the orange error light blinking.
9 > BTW,
10 > > this is a DeskJet 612C using the hpijs driver.
11 >
12 > What I expect is happening is that the text file has
13 > only linefeeds (\n or
14 > ASCII 0x0a) instead of carriage return/linefeed
15 > (\r\n or ASCII 0x0d 0x0a) so
16 > the head is never getting the command to go back to
17 > the start of the line and
18 > the line length "overflows." This is one reason why
19 > "raw printing" can be a
20 > problem. What you really want is a queue that merely
21 > replaces \n with \r\n
22 > instead of a true raw queue. CUPS does not seem to
23 > provide this, instead
24 > preferring to convert to postscript and then to
25 > raster. Personally I don't
26 > see this as a problem, but your needs are probably
27 > different than mine.
28 >
29 > One option to solve this is to emerge unix2dos and
30 > use the following command
31 > line:
32 >
33 > unix2dos filetoprint.txt | lp -l
34
35 After removing and re-installing cups and installing
36 unix2dos got this:
37
38 heathen@sarawak ~ $ unix2dos environment | lpr -l
39 unix2dos: converting file environment to DOS format
40 ...
41 unix2dos: problems converting file environment
42 lpr: error - scheduler not responding!
43
44 I was sure it was because I had neglected to go to
45 localhost631 first but
46 trying to open the page in firefox got "connection
47 refused" error.
48
49 Only thing that comes to mind is that when I did
50 emerge -pv cups it said some file(can't recall which)
51 was being blocked by xpdf which I don't use so I
52 removed it and cups went in OK. Long shot.
57 > --
58 > Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW <manuel@××××××.org>
59 > <http://www.mclure.org>
60 > ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and
61 > significant law,
62 > no man may kill a cat. -- H.P.
63 > Lovecraft
64 > --
65 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
71 Do You Yahoo!?
72 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
73 http://mail.yahoo.com
74 --
75 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list