From: "Manuel A. McLure" <manuel@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CUPS -- fails better!
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 04:32:46
1 On Monday 23 January 2006 07:20 pm, maxim wexler wrote:
2 > This time the printer whirred to life printed the
3 > first line of text across the very top of the paper
4 > then quit with the orange error light blinking. BTW,
5 > this is a DeskJet 612C using the hpijs driver.
6
7 What I expect is happening is that the text file has only linefeeds (\n or
8 ASCII 0x0a) instead of carriage return/linefeed (\r\n or ASCII 0x0d 0x0a) so
9 the head is never getting the command to go back to the start of the line and
10 the line length "overflows." This is one reason why "raw printing" can be a
11 problem. What you really want is a queue that merely replaces \n with \r\n
12 instead of a true raw queue. CUPS does not seem to provide this, instead
13 preferring to convert to postscript and then to raster. Personally I don't
14 see this as a problem, but your needs are probably different than mine.
15
16 One option to solve this is to emerge unix2dos and use the following command
17 line:
18
19 unix2dos filetoprint.txt | lp -l
22 Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW <manuel@××××××.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
23 ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
24 no man may kill a cat. -- H.P. Lovecraft
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list