From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: post build files
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 14:03:30
1 Alec Ten Harmsel <alec <at> alectenharmsel.com> writes:
4 > Lastly, if you throw this in a publicly-accessible git repo I'll try and
5 > help, even though I took a look at mesos and it seems like it'll be hard
6 > because they bundle libraries with it and have made a couple other
7 > (imnho) bad decisions.
8
9 I biggest obstacle for all of the Apache clustering sofwares I want
10 to try, is java and other codes seem to be central to their
11 offerings.
12
13 For example "maven" is becoming critical for many codes [1].
14 In fact we are loosing jruby because nobody has the requisite
15 skills? [2].
18 Hacking and slashing through ebuilds is not difficult. I just
19 have inate tendencies to that cause me to believe the path
20 should be 'well worn" with ample examples; but alas I do not
21 think that is the gentoo way, particular with how fast things
22 are moving on new codes and the entire linux echo_systems.
25 Why not champion maven and jruby so many can benefit?
26 Can maven be built from sources, as I see it is currently
27 in binary form maven-bin ?
28
29 Maven is an obstacle that I'm not certain I can go around
30 if I am to continue down the apache cluster pathway......
31
32 <snip-dev>
33 # Mask jruby 1.6.x for removal in 30 days.
34 # on ruby 1.8. Many packages are no longer compatible with its
35 # syntax, and security support for ruby 1.8 has stopped. This
36 # incompatibility now has reached central packages like rubygems so we
37 # have decided to remove jruby 1.6 now. jruby upstream has released
38 # the 1.7.x series some time ago, but unfortunately we only have a
39 # masked version that has too many issues to unmask. Please let us
40 # know if you know java and ruby and want to help out here:
44 hth,
45 James
49 [1] http://maven.apache.org/
50