From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd - are we forced to switch?
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 06:25:10
1 On 23/07/13 09:11, András Csányi wrote:
2 > On 22 July 2013 21:57, Michael Hampicke <mh@××××.biz> wrote:
3 >> Am 22.07.2013 17:02, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
4 >>> ConsoleKit is for all practical purposes unmaintained, and all of the
5 >>> packages you mentioned it support systemd just fine. Emerge systemd,
6 >>> and purge CK from your system; I did that almost a year ago.
7 >>>
8 >>
9 >> Thanks, just purged consolekit from my system after setting
10 >> USE="-consolekit" and remerged the affected packages.
11 >
12 > Do you have systemd enabled? I mean USE="systemd".
13 >
14 > What is going to happen if my system does not have consolekit?
15
16 What do you mean?
17 ConsoleKit is used mainly to recognize if you are a local user or not.
18
19 If you don't have ConsoleKit OR systemd-logind, then nothing will
20 recognize you are a local user and anything using PolicyKit like for
21 example, networkmanager or your desktop's shutdown/restart
22 functionality, or automounting by file manager, won't succeed without
23 root password because then nothing is telling PolicyKit the user is
24 local and fallback to root is applied.
25
26 For example, if you don't have sys-auth/consolekit installed then
27 xfce-base/xfce4-session will fallback to using `sudo` for authorization
28 on shutdown/reboot
29 But some functionality have no fallback like this at all, so if aiming
30 for systemd-less and ConsoleKit-less system, you have to know what is
31 what...
32
33 I hope that clarifies instead of complicates :P