From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: AHCI/IDE-question
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 23:44:47
1 On 01/22/2011 12:31 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> My notebook works like that too.
4 >>
5 >> Hard disk works fine when everything is set to AHCI, but then the
6 >> system won't
7 >> boot from CD. So I enabled the IDE driver and the IDE driver for CD-ROMs.
8 >>
9 >> My take on this is that Dell had a vast stock of cheap-skate CD-ROM
10 >> hardware
11 >> and used them up. The engineering logic would have been "it doesn't
12 >> matter
13 >> that we use the slow interface for that device, it's still faster than
14 >> we can
15 >> get the data off the media."
18 > And I thought there was something weird with me on this one. o_O I did
19 > switch it back to AHCI after I got done booting the CD thingy. I really
20 > can't tell any difference in speed between the two and neither could
21 > hdparm -tT either.
22
23 hdparm measures raw throughput when reading continuously from one
24 position to another. AHCI improves performance when the disk needs to
25 read from several different places, which is the case in every day use.
26 It does this by providing a feature similar to what SCSI provides:
27 native command queuing (NCQ). You can read about what this is and why
28 we want it here:
29
30 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing