From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: AHCI/IDE-question
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 07:51:51
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 01/22/2011 12:31 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> My notebook works like that too.
5 >>>
6 >>> Hard disk works fine when everything is set to AHCI, but then the
7 >>> system won't
8 >>> boot from CD. So I enabled the IDE driver and the IDE driver for
9 >>> CD-ROMs.
10 >>>
11 >>> My take on this is that Dell had a vast stock of cheap-skate CD-ROM
12 >>> hardware
13 >>> and used them up. The engineering logic would have been "it doesn't
14 >>> matter
15 >>> that we use the slow interface for that device, it's still faster than
16 >>> we can
17 >>> get the data off the media."
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >> And I thought there was something weird with me on this one. o_O I did
21 >> switch it back to AHCI after I got done booting the CD thingy. I really
22 >> can't tell any difference in speed between the two and neither could
23 >> hdparm -tT either.
24 >
25 > hdparm measures raw throughput when reading continuously from one
26 > position to another. AHCI improves performance when the disk needs to
27 > read from several different places, which is the case in every day
28 > use. It does this by providing a feature similar to what SCSI
29 > provides: native command queuing (NCQ). You can read about what this
30 > is and why we want it here:
31 >
32 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing
35 Other than copying a file and using time to measure how long it takes,
36 what is the best test of a hard drive's speed?
37
38 Also, does or can the kernel override the BIOS setting? I think it uses
39 AHCI no matter what is in the BIOS. It seems it would be at least some
40 difference in speed.
41
42 Nice link. The picture explained it best. I'm sort of simple. lol
43
44 Dale
45