From: Statux <statux@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] linux-headers vs gentoo-sources
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 01:28:09
1 The old way of doing things was to make the following two symlinks:
2
3 /usr/include/linux -> /usr/src/linux/include/linux
4 /usr/include/asm -> /usr/src/linux/include/asm
5
6 Then the second would be linked to the correct set of asm headers for
7 your architecture, etc, inside the linux kernel source tree.
8
9 Somewhere along the lines, the symlinking idea became deprecated in
10 favor of using a hard set of header files. I forget why this came to be
11 but I agree that at some point, a newer kernel must render some portion
12 of an old set of headers outdated. I think the linux-headers package is
13 intended to be kept as up to date as possible to avoid interface
14 changes/incompatibilities. Why it's not kept even and why the
15 redundancy? Good questions.
16
17 I would figure that if you wanted to manually maintain a hard set of
18 headers and keep them installed in the correct places, you're free to do
19 so but the linux-headers package has been properly maintained from my
20 experience.
21
22 My $0.02.
23