From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] linux-headers vs gentoo-sources
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 01:46:53
1 On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:23:49 -0500
2 Statux wrote:
3
4 > The old way of doing things was to make the following two symlinks:
5 >
6 > /usr/include/linux -> /usr/src/linux/include/linux
7 > /usr/include/asm -> /usr/src/linux/include/asm
8 >
9 > Then the second would be linked to the correct set of asm headers for
10 > your architecture, etc, inside the linux kernel source tree.
11 >
12 > Somewhere along the lines, the symlinking idea became deprecated in
13 > favor of using a hard set of header files. I forget why this came to
14 > be but I agree that at some point, a newer kernel must render some
15 > portion of an old set of headers outdated. I think the linux-headers
16 > package is intended to be kept as up to date as possible to avoid
17 > interface changes/incompatibilities. Why it's not kept even and why
18 > the redundancy? Good questions.
19 >
20 > I would figure that if you wanted to manually maintain a hard set of
21 > headers and keep them installed in the correct places, you're free to
22 > do so but the linux-headers package has been properly maintained from
23 > my experience.
24 >
25 > My $0.02.
26
27 Interesting. At the moment emerge is updating my linux-headers from
28 2.6.17-r1 to 2.6.17-r2. The first step is downloading
29 linux-2.6.17.tar.bz2 which, at 41MB, seems more like a complete kernel
30 source tree than just the headers. Overkill, eh?
31
32 It's interesting to compare the keywords of
33 Linux-headers-2.6.19.ebuild, i.e. "-*", to gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r1
34 which has "~amd64 ~ppc ~ppc64 ~sparc ~x86". If I'm interpreting these
35 correction, gentoo-sources is available but unstable while the headers
36 (a subset of the source) is completely masked out. I wonder why that
37 would be???
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list