From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recovering root password
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:51:02
1 On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 15:39 -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > Grant wrote:
3 > > I've revived an old Gentoo laptop, but I've forgotten the root
4 > > password. I remember the password to my user account and I can log in
5 > > there fine. Can I recover the root password?
6 > >
7 > > - Grant
10 > I think you can boot into single user mode and reset it. You have to
11 > put it on the end of the grub boot line but I can't recall what the
12 > exact option is. May help you search tho.
13 >
14 > You can also boot the CD and chroot in to reset it as well. I'm sure
15 > that will work just as well.
16 >
17 > Dale
18 >
20
21 The option is "single" but it won't help because it requests the root
22 password before it gives you your /bin/bash.
23
24 Anyway, if you have sudo-rights, you can simply do "sudo passwd" and it
25 won't ask you for the old password.