From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Overclocking CPU causes segmentation fault
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 01:55:40
1 Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 23 January 2013 12:05:45 AM IST, Volker Armin Hemmann
3 > wrote:
4 >> Am 22.01.2013 08:41, schrieb Nilesh Govindrajan:
5 >>> So I have this old E2180 processor and no money as of now to buy a new
6 >>> rig :P
7 >>> I'm trying to overclock my CPU using BIOS host clock control and
8 >>> everything is fine at 2.6 Ghz up to bootloader.
9 >>>
10 >>> Kernel segfaults. Any idea why? I'm running pf-kernel 3.7.2 and it
11 >>> doesn't work with vanilla kernel either.
12 >>>
13 >>> Intel MCE is disabled in kernel configuration.
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >> and now you know why overclocking is stupid. (disabling mce is stupid
17 >> too btw).
18 >>
19 >> Before there are segfaults there are silent data corruption errors. The
20 >> file you downloaded and saved to the disk? Damaged - and you won't
21 >> know... or you will, when those errors add up, turning precious data
22 >> into binary garbage.
23 >>
24 >> Only overclock if there is nothing of worth on your computer - and
25 >> nothing of worth done with it. But in that case - why use it in the
26 >> first place?
27 >>
28 >> Don't be stupid. Don't overvlock.
29 >>
30 > Enabled MCE back after realising it's RAM issue. Anyway, it's too much
31 > work running torture tests. Back to safe levels.
32 >
33 > --
34 > Nilesh Govindarajan
35 > http://nileshgr.com
40 I tired overclocking once a good while back. It just wasn't worth it.
41 By the time you fix everything that gets broke, it just isn't worth that
42 extra single digit percentage point of gain. You run the risk of having
43 memory issues which can lead to bad data on the hard drive. Then that
44 leads to more issues and this just keeps going in circles. At some
45 point, it is going to fail and you could loose data that you don't
46 really want to loose. There is also the heat issue as well.
47
48 Also, I used to run foldingathome. It does not do well with
49 overclocking. It will error out pretty quick. I tried this on a Abit
50 NF7 v2 mobo. At that time, they were pretty much the king of
51 overclocking. I bought everything intending to overclock but it wasn't
52 worth it. I had a HUGE copper heat sink on that CPU. I wonder what the
53 scrap value of that thing is? lol
54
55 Save up, buy a faster CPU or just do a upgrade. Make a router out of
56 the older box, if it doesn't pull to much power.
57
58 Dale
59
63 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!