From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 17:56:45
1 On 17 January 2016 18:35:20 CET, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On Sunday 17 Jan 2016 16:51:00 J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >> On Sunday, January 17, 2016 10:46:38 AM Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> > On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 10:27 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
5 >wrote:
6 >> > > Actually, there are several large corporations that use RDP-like
7 >> > > technologies. Although those are called "VDI" and usually use
8 >XenDesktop
9 >> > > on the server side and "icaclient" on the client.
10 >> > > Runs through HTTPS and apart from keyloggers and screenloggers,
11 >there is
12 >> > > not much that can be done.
13 >> > > Using 2-factor authentication (RSA-type keys or similar) they're
14 >pretty
15 >> > > secure.
16 >> >
17 >> > Yeah, I would agree with that. I've set up a few thin client
18 >citrix
19 >> > boxes ages ago. These days I'd say the web is the bigger trend,
20 >and I
21 >> > agree that 2-factor can greatly reduce the impact of keylogging.
22 >One
23 >> > of the nice things with one of the SaaS applications we're using at
24 >> > work is that if we're having connection issues I can just wake up
25 >my
26 >> > console on my home PC next to my VPN'ed laptop and see if the
27 >> > application is accessible with a complete different route (suffice
28 >it
29 >> > to say I sometimes dread using the office LAN for this reason -
30 >I've
31 >> > seen file transfers go faster over the VPN than the local WiFi).
32 >> >
33 >> > But, if you're still stuck with win32 applications Citrix is
34 >certainly
35 >> > a solution. I was thinking it might take over the corporate
36 >desktop
37 >> > until everything started moving more towards the web.
38 >>
39 >> XenDesktop is actually a lot nicer than the classical "Citrix".
40 >> You end up with a full VM rather than a multi-user hack on top of a
41 >single
42 >> user OS.
43 >>
44 >> I prefer to work using VDI/icaclient than with the company supplied
45 >laptops.
46 >> Especially since my own laptop and desktop is nicer to type with and
47 >the
48 >> screen is better quality...
49 >>
50 >> --
51 >> Joost
52 >
53 >I use the icaclient provided by Citrix to access my virtual desktop at
54 >work,
55 >but have never tried to set up something similar at home. What
56 >opensource
57 >software would I need for this? Is there a wiki somewhere to follow?
58
59 I'd love to do this myself as well.
60
61 Citrix sells the full package as 'XenDesktop'. To do it yourself you need a VMserver (Xen or similar) and a remote desktop tool that hooks into the VM display. (Spice or VNC)
62
63 Then you need some way of authenticating users and providing access to the client software.
64
65 I have not been able to set all that up myself yet, but it is on my wish/todo list.
66
67 Ideally, I'd like an affordable XenDesktop licencing scheme for a few simultaneous users.
70 Joost
74 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.