From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 01:03:22
1 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > On 17 January 2016 18:35:20 CET, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > [...]
6 >>I use the icaclient provided by Citrix to access my virtual desktop at
7 >>work,
8 >>but have never tried to set up something similar at home. What
9 >>opensource
10 >>software would I need for this? Is there a wiki somewhere to follow?
11 >
12 > I'd love to do this myself as well.
13 >
14 > Citrix sells the full package as 'XenDesktop'. To do it yourself you need a VMserver (Xen or similar) and a remote desktop tool that hooks into the VM display. (Spice or VNC)
15 >
16 > Then you need some way of authenticating users and providing access to the client software.
17 > [...]
18
19 You would have a full VM for each user? That would be a huge waste of
20 resources, plus having to take care of a lot of VMs, plus having to buy
21 a lot of Windoze licenses and taking about a week to install the updates
22 after installing a VM. Add to that that the xen host goes down at
23 random time intervals (because the sending queue of the network card
24 times out for reasons that cannot be determined) which can be as long as
25 a day, a week or even up to three weeks, and you are likely to become a
26 rather unhappy administrator. Try kvm instead, and you'll find that
27 it's impossible to migrate the VMs from xen to to kvm when you want to
28 use virtio drivers because you can't install them on an existing Windoze
29 VM.
30
31 Then there's the question how well vnc or spice connections work over a
32 VPN that goes over the internet. It's not like the employees could get
33 reliable internet connections with sufficient bandwidth, not to mention
34 that the company would have to get one in the first place, which isn't
35 much easier to get, if any.
36
37 It might work in theory. How would it be feasible in practise?