From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 06:44:18
1 On Monday, January 18, 2016 02:02:27 AM lee wrote:
2 > "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
3 > > On 17 January 2016 18:35:20 CET, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > [...]
6 > >
7 > >>I use the icaclient provided by Citrix to access my virtual desktop at
8 > >>work,
9 > >>but have never tried to set up something similar at home. What
10 > >>opensource
11 > >>software would I need for this? Is there a wiki somewhere to follow?
12 > >>
13 > > I'd love to do this myself as well.
14 > >
15 > > Citrix sells the full package as 'XenDesktop'. To do it yourself you need
16 > > a VMserver (Xen or similar) and a remote desktop tool that hooks into the
17 > > VM display. (Spice or VNC)
18 > >
19 > > Then you need some way of authenticating users and providing access to the
20 > > client software. [...]
21 >
22 > You would have a full VM for each user?
23
24 Yes
25
26 > That would be a huge waste of resources,
27
28 Diskspace and CPU can easily be overcommitted.
29
30 > plus having to take care of a lot of VMs,
31
32 Automated.
33
34 > plus having to buy a lot of Windoze licenses
35
36 Volume licensing takes care of that.
37
38 > and taking about a week to install the updates
39 > after installing a VM.
40
41 Never heard of VM templates?
42
43 > Add to that that the xen host goes down at
44 > random time intervals (because the sending queue of the network card
45 > times out for reasons that cannot be determined) which can be as long as
46 > a day, a week or even up to three weeks, and you are likely to become a
47 > rather unhappy administrator.
48
49 Sorry, but I consider that a bug in your hardware. If it's really that
50 unstable, replace it.
51 I've been running Xen enabled servers for nearly 15 years. Never had issues
52 like that. If it were truly that unstable, it wouldn't be gaining popularity.
53
54 > Try kvm instead, and you'll find that
55 > it's impossible to migrate the VMs from xen to to kvm when you want to
56 > use virtio drivers because you can't install them on an existing Windoze
57 > VM.
58
59 Not a problem with the virtualisation technology. It is an issue with driver
60 management inside MS Windows.
61 There are ways to migrate VMs succesfully, I just don't see the point in
62 wasting time for that.
63
64 The biggest reason why I don't use KVM is the lack of full snapshot
65 functionality. Snapshotting disks is nice, but you end up with an unclean-
66 shutdown situation and anything that's not yet committed to disk is gone.
67
68 > Then there's the question how well vnc or spice connections work over a
69 > VPN that goes over the internet.
70
71 VNC works quite well, as long as you use a minimal desktop. (like blackbox).
72 Don't expect KDE or Gnome to be usable.
73 I haven't tried Spice yet, but I've read that it performs better.
74
75 > It's not like the employees could get
76 > reliable internet connections with sufficient bandwidth, not to mention
77 > that the company would have to get one in the first place, which isn't
78 > much easier to get, if any.
79
80 That depends on where you are.
81 The company could host the servers in a decent datacentre, which should take
82 care of the bandwidth issues.
83 For the employees, if they want to work from home, it's up to them to ensure
84 they have a reliable connection.
85
86 > It might work in theory. How would it be feasible in practise?
87
88 Plenty of companies do it this way. If you don't want to pay for software like
89 XenDesktop, you need to do all the work setting it up yourself.
92 Joost