From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 01:19:40
1 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > On Monday, January 18, 2016 02:02:27 AM lee wrote:
4 >> "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
5 >> > On 17 January 2016 18:35:20 CET, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> >
7 >> > [...]
8 >> >
9 >> >>I use the icaclient provided by Citrix to access my virtual desktop at
10 >> >>work,
11 >> >>but have never tried to set up something similar at home. What
12 >> >>opensource
13 >> >>software would I need for this? Is there a wiki somewhere to follow?
14 >> >>
15 >> > I'd love to do this myself as well.
16 >> >
17 >> > Citrix sells the full package as 'XenDesktop'. To do it yourself you need
18 >> > a VMserver (Xen or similar) and a remote desktop tool that hooks into the
19 >> > VM display. (Spice or VNC)
20 >> >
21 >> > Then you need some way of authenticating users and providing access to the
22 >> > client software. [...]
23 >>
24 >> You would have a full VM for each user?
25 >
26 > Yes
27 >
28 >> That would be a huge waste of resources,
29 >
30 > Diskspace and CPU can easily be overcommitted.
31
32 Overcommitting disk space sounds like a very bad idea. Overcommitting
33 memory is not possible with xen.
34
35 >> plus having to take care of a lot of VMs,
36 >
37 > Automated.
38
39 Like how?
40
41 >> plus having to buy a lot of Windoze licenses
42 >
43 > Volume licensing takes care of that.
44
45 expensive
46
47 >> and taking about a week to install the updates
48 >> after installing a VM.
49 >
50 > Never heard of VM templates?
51
52 It still takes a week to put the updates onto the template.
53
54 >> Add to that that the xen host goes down at
55 >> random time intervals (because the sending queue of the network card
56 >> times out for reasons that cannot be determined) which can be as long as
57 >> a day, a week or even up to three weeks, and you are likely to become a
58 >> rather unhappy administrator.
59 >
60 > Sorry, but I consider that a bug in your hardware. If it's really that
61 > unstable, replace it.
62 > I've been running Xen enabled servers for nearly 15 years. Never had issues
63 > like that. If it were truly that unstable, it wouldn't be gaining popularity.
64
65 The hardware has already been replaced, and the problem persists. Other
66 machines of identical hardware that don't run xen don't show any issues.
67
68 >> Try kvm instead, and you'll find that
69 >> it's impossible to migrate the VMs from xen to to kvm when you want to
70 >> use virtio drivers because you can't install them on an existing Windoze
71 >> VM.
72 >
73 > Not a problem with the virtualisation technology. It is an issue with driver
74 > management inside MS Windows.
75 > There are ways to migrate VMs succesfully, I just don't see the point in
76 > wasting time for that.
77
78 It's time consuming when you have to reinstall the VMs to migrate them
79 to kvm. And when you don't have the installers of all the software
80 that's on some of the VMs and can't get them, you either have to run
81 them without virtio drivers or you can't migrate them.
82
83 > The biggest reason why I don't use KVM is the lack of full snapshot
84 > functionality. Snapshotting disks is nice, but you end up with an unclean-
85 > shutdown situation and anything that's not yet committed to disk is gone.
86
87 I'm not sure what you mean. When you take a snapshot while the VM is not
88 shut down, what difference does it make whether you use xen or kvm?
89
90 >> Then there's the question how well vnc or spice connections work over a
91 >> VPN that goes over the internet.
92 >
93 > VNC works quite well, as long as you use a minimal desktop. (like blackbox).
94 > Don't expect KDE or Gnome to be usable.
95 > I haven't tried Spice yet, but I've read that it performs better.
96
97 It's not like you had a choice when you have Windoze VMs.
98
99 >> It's not like the employees could get
100 >> reliable internet connections with sufficient bandwidth, not to mention
101 >> that the company would have to get one in the first place, which isn't
102 >> much easier to get, if any.
103 >
104 > That depends on where you are.
105
106 In this country, you have to be really lucky to find a place where you
107 can get a decent internet connection.
108
109 > The company could host the servers in a decent datacentre, which should take
110 > care of the bandwidth issues.
111
112 And give all their data out of hands? And how much does that cost?
113
114 > For the employees, if they want to work from home, it's up to them to ensure
115 > they have a reliable connection.
116
117 It is as much problem of the company when they want the employees to
118 work at home. And the employees don't have a choice, they can only get
119 a connection they can get.
120
121 >> It might work in theory. How would it be feasible in practise?
122 >
123 > Plenty of companies do it this way. If you don't want to pay for software like
124 > XenDesktop, you need to do all the work setting it up yourself.
125
126 VNC is somewhat slow over a 1Gbit LAN. Did they find some way to
127 overcome this problem?
128
129 This sounds like it is for people with unlimited resources.
130
131 BTW, access a VM through VNC, and you don't even have any way to make
132 the mouse pointer in the VNC window actually follow the mouse pointer
133 you're using, which makes it rather annoying to do anything in the VM
134 you're looking at. If you found a solution for that, I'd be curious as
135 to how you solved this problem.