From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 02:45:54
1 On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 01:46:45AM +0100, lee wrote:
2 > "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
3 >
4 > > On Monday, January 18, 2016 02:02:27 AM lee wrote:
5 > >> "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
6 > >> > On 17 January 2016 18:35:20 CET, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >> >
8 > >> > [...]
9 > >> >
10 > >> >>I use the icaclient provided by Citrix to access my virtual desktop at
11 > >> >>work,
12 > >> >>but have never tried to set up something similar at home. What
13 > >> >>opensource
14 > >> >>software would I need for this? Is there a wiki somewhere to follow?
15 > >> >>
16 > >> > I'd love to do this myself as well.
17 > >> >
18 > >> > Citrix sells the full package as 'XenDesktop'. To do it yourself you need
19 > >> > a VMserver (Xen or similar) and a remote desktop tool that hooks into the
20 > >> > VM display. (Spice or VNC)
21 > >> >
22 > >> > Then you need some way of authenticating users and providing access to the
23 > >> > client software. [...]
24 > >>
25 > >> You would have a full VM for each user?
26 > >
27 > > Yes
28 > >
29 > >> That would be a huge waste of resources,
30 > >
31 > > Diskspace and CPU can easily be overcommitted.
32 >
33 > Overcommitting disk space sounds like a very bad idea. Overcommitting
34 > memory is not possible with xen.
37 Depends on how the load is. Right now I have a 500GB HDD at work. I use
38 VirtualBox and vagrant for testing various software. Every VM in
39 VirtualBox gets a 50GB hard disk, and I generally have 7 or 8 at a time.
40 Add in all the other stuff on my system, which includes a 200GB dataset,
41 and the disk is overcommitted. Of course, none of the VirtualBox disks
42 use anywhere near 50GB.
43
44 All Joost is saying is that most resources can be overcommitted, since
45 all the users will not be using all their resources at the same time.
46
47 Alec