From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 07:26:09
1 On Monday, January 18, 2016 09:45:28 PM Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 01:46:45AM +0100, lee wrote:
3 > > "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
4 > > > On Monday, January 18, 2016 02:02:27 AM lee wrote:
5 > > >> "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
6 > > >> > On 17 January 2016 18:35:20 CET, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
7 > > >> > wrote:
8 > > >> >
9 > > >> > [...]
10 > > >> >
11 > > >> >>I use the icaclient provided by Citrix to access my virtual desktop
12 > > >> >>at
13 > > >> >>work,
14 > > >> >>but have never tried to set up something similar at home. What
15 > > >> >>opensource
16 > > >> >>software would I need for this? Is there a wiki somewhere to follow?
17 > > >> >>
18 > > >> > I'd love to do this myself as well.
19 > > >> >
20 > > >> > Citrix sells the full package as 'XenDesktop'. To do it yourself you
21 > > >> > need
22 > > >> > a VMserver (Xen or similar) and a remote desktop tool that hooks into
23 > > >> > the
24 > > >> > VM display. (Spice or VNC)
25 > > >> >
26 > > >> > Then you need some way of authenticating users and providing access
27 > > >> > to the
28 > > >> > client software. [...]
29 > > >>
30 > > >> You would have a full VM for each user?
31 > > >
32 > > > Yes
33 > > >
34 > > >> That would be a huge waste of resources,
35 > > >
36 > > > Diskspace and CPU can easily be overcommitted.
37 > >
38 > > Overcommitting disk space sounds like a very bad idea. Overcommitting
39 > > memory is not possible with xen.
40 >
41 > Depends on how the load is. Right now I have a 500GB HDD at work. I use
42 > VirtualBox and vagrant for testing various software. Every VM in
43 > VirtualBox gets a 50GB hard disk, and I generally have 7 or 8 at a time.
44 > Add in all the other stuff on my system, which includes a 200GB dataset,
45 > and the disk is overcommitted. Of course, none of the VirtualBox disks
46 > use anywhere near 50GB.
47 >
48 > All Joost is saying is that most resources can be overcommitted, since
49 > all the users will not be using all their resources at the same time.
50
51 If disk-space is considered too expensive, you could even have every VM use
52 the same base image. And have them store only the differences of the disk.
53 eg:
54 1) Create a VM
55 2) Snapshot the disk (with the VM shutdown)
56 3) create a new VM based on the snapshot
57
58 Repeat 2 and 3 for as many clones you want.
59
60 Most installs don't change that much when dealing with standardized desktops.
63 Joost