From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 03:19:01
1 On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 9:45 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel
2 <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > All Joost is saying is that most resources can be overcommitted, since
5 > all the users will not be using all their resources at the same time.
8 Don't want to sound like a broken record, but this is precisely why
9 containers are so attractive. You can set hard limits wherever you
10 want, but otherwise absolutely everything can be
11 over-comitted/shared/etc to the degree you desire. They're just
12 processes and namespaces and cgroups and so on. You just have to be
13 willing to live with whatever kernel is running on the host. Of
14 course, it isn't a solution for Windows, and there aren't any mature
15 VDI-oriented solutions I'm aware of. However, running as non-root in
16 a container should be very secure so there is no reason it couldn't be
17 done. I just spun up a new container yesterday to test out burp
18 (alas, ago beat me to the stablereq) and the server container is using
19 all of 54M total / 3M RSS (some of that because I like to run sshd and
20 so on inside). I can afford to run a LOT of those.
23 Rich