From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 00:47:51
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 9:45 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel
4 > <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> All Joost is saying is that most resources can be overcommitted, since
7 >> all the users will not be using all their resources at the same time.
10 > Don't want to sound like a broken record, but this is precisely why
11 > containers are so attractive. You can set hard limits wherever you
12 > want, but otherwise absolutely everything can be
13 > over-comitted/shared/etc to the degree you desire. They're just
14 > processes and namespaces and cgroups and so on. You just have to be
15 > willing to live with whatever kernel is running on the host. Of
16 > course, it isn't a solution for Windows, and there aren't any mature
17 > VDI-oriented solutions I'm aware of. However, running as non-root in
18 > a container should be very secure so there is no reason it couldn't be
19 > done. I just spun up a new container yesterday to test out burp
20 > (alas, ago beat me to the stablereq) and the server container is using
21 > all of 54M total / 3M RSS (some of that because I like to run sshd and
22 > so on inside). I can afford to run a LOT of those.
23
24 Yes, I prefer containers over xen and kvm. They are easy to set up,
25 have basically no overhead, no noticeable performance impact or loss,
26 and handing over devices, like a network card, to a container is easy
27 and painless. Unfortunately, as you say, you can't use them when you
28 need Windoze VMs.
29
30 BTW, is it as easy to give a graphics card to a container as it is to
31 give it a network card? What if you have a container for each user who
32 somehow logs in remotely to an X session? Do (can) you run X sessions
33 that do not have a console and do not need a (dedicated) graphics card
34 (just for users logging in remotely)?
35
36 Having a container for each user would be much less painful than having
37 a VM for each user. That brings back the question what to use when you
38 want to log in remotely to an X session ...